Exterior lighting/grounding switches/lights

This is my home but wanted to post as most do not pull off covers as it is not required in a non invasive inspection but I have the following improper electrical practices.

• exterior light with no visible junction box and lacks ground connection.

• updated lights and switches lacking the ground connections.

So if you were doing an inspection on an older home and was noticing some open grounded outlets would you also mention the lack of a ground at the lights and switches if they had been modified?

Also did an inspection for a client how lived in the home and they used drywall screws to secure the receptacle to the outlet. I would not of known if he did not tell me as he lived there. (Last pic)

I added a exterior box designated for a wet location but it stall lacks a ground.

My House 112511 002 (Small).JPG

My House 112511 002 (Small).JPG

My House 112511 003 (Small).JPG

My House 112511 004 (Small).JPG

My House 112511 001 (Small).JPG

199011 030 (Small).JPG

The GFCI protects you even if the circuit is ungrounded.

If I noticed the lack of a junction box where required, I would note it.

I only test receptacle outlets to determine if they are grounded and have the proper polarity. My inspections are not technically exhaustive.

More pics of my house.

I have installed many lights and switches that lack grounds. Also the wiring in my basement at my workshop under the steps was done by a hack. (Me)

I may remove the wiring in basement today. I should hire an electrician to do a rewire. Most older NM cable lacking equipment ground.

I hate that light in my family room.

I here you Joe!!

wire pics my house 002 (Small).JPG

wire pics my house 003 (Small).JPG

wire pics my house 004 (Small).JPG

wire pics my house 001 (Small).JPG

So you recently re-wired your home using older 2 conductor wiring? :roll:

No, just connecting newer fixtures, switches to the 1960’s wiring.

Kitchen was updated and rewired. Panel was updated but is already filled, and will not accept mini breakers even though it states it will.

Sump is on its own breaker, new wiring.

Want to finish basement, jetted tub and an exterior hot tub, so looking at a 200 amp upgrade.

I have had a few areas rewired like office and portions of living.

Most was done by an electrician, the shed wiring I did and that is wrong.

Live and learn, or die because I burned down my house because I am a dolt!!

While the splice for the flood is now contained in a box there are still issues like the lack of a connector and the cable sheath does not extend into the box.

I hear you. The wires in contact with the metal soffit is not good. Not much room to crawl around up there to rewire. It is on my list for the electrician.

You definatly need an upgrade David.
The one fixture in the family room is made for bedrooms

One of the first things I did about 8 years ago. I hate it.

Any recommendations for type of fixture? It is between garage and kitchen. The other side of the family has a remote control ceiling fan that is also not grounded.

David I would need to see the space however there are so many cool fixtures out there it is amazing.

Some of this LED stuff is looking good.
You now have remotes for changing cool to warm tones.

I used to build my own.(No UL approval):slight_smile:

Trac lighting and wall sconces add certain atmospheres however chandeliers would not work in a family room.
If you have a flat screen go with trac to avoid screen washout.

Those lights are (but not really) referred to as boob lights for obvious reasons! LOL As Bob said bedroom lights usually or a hallway. Because they are cheap allot of builders use these fixtures …I used to get 6 in a box for $39.00 at HD.

Most of the new lighting fixtures cannot be used with 1960’s wiring. They will typically say on the box or in the instructions that the conductors must rated for 75° C or 90° C.