Federal Pacific(stab-lock) comment?

Hello Everyone… Does any one have a comment for the Fed Pacific panels. I haven’t seen one in a while and was curious how you all write them up! I always recommend further evaluation by a sparky, but I am curious to see if anyone goes into depth with their comment!

Thanks in advance,
Chris

The panel was manufactured by Federal Pacific Electric Company and employs Stablok breakers and other components that have been alleged to be defective. However, the panel is old and the company is now out of business, and although field reports of defects and dangers were never apparently substantiated by laboratory tests they have been numerous and serious enough for us to recommend either upgrading the panel or seeking a second opinion. Also, you can learn more about this issue from Dan Friedman at www.inspect-ny.com/fpe/fpepanel.htm.

I don’t want to stir anything up but i was once corrected in that no all Fed Pacific panels are problematic… but rather the Stab-Lok variety… Is that correct anyone? Sparkies?

That’s why I word mine the way I do.

Verbiage was borrowed some time ago from another member (possibly the Pope?)

The home is currently equipped with a Federal Pacific stab-Lok load center which are considered problematic by industry professionals due to their high failure rate. Failure of any component within the electrical system can result in fire and/or electrocution. Recommend evaluation by a licensed electrician.

I think they have a bad enough history to justify recommending they be replaced.

There is a Federal Pacific Electric “Stab-Lock” service panel in the house. There are some studies that show that its 220-volt circuit breakers fail to trip in response to an over-current or a short circuit. Since the Consumer Products Safety Commission has not issued a formal product recall, we cannot definitively call these panels defective. We recommend, for your peace of mind, to consult a qualified electrical contractor to get their opinion on this matter. There does not appear to be any current concerns in relation to currently installed panel.

That is correct.

See this article … IMO one of the best on the issue written so far.

http://www.codecheck.com/pdf/electrical/240overcurrent/FPE%20Article%20from%20DH%20-%20Nov2003.pdf

Nice Article Robert, thanks a bunch. I’ll provide that document with my reports
if/when I come across more of these, as I’ve seen before.