FPL power disruption box

I have found a situation where the Florida Power and Light circuit control box is wired I think improperly. It double tapps the breaker of the device it want to control. Is that allowed. Looks like 10ga strand to the breaker where the 10ga solid copper is also.
FPL does a ton of these. Is there some exception being the install is from the power company?

Can you upload some photographs and maybe someone will be able to provide some insight?

I am not fully sure I understand what you are describing so it is nearly impossible to comment yet.

Sorry of course. The box on the right is the local power companies “on call” box. It is able to cut off a circuit anytime FPL requires it to save on power usage to a grid. Its double tapped to install.

If the breaker is not acceptant of double taps then it should be pig tailed in. If its worng then advise a correction.

This might help!
http://www.structuretech1.com/category/double-tapped-circuit-breakers/

It is wrong and majority of them are wired improperly. Is that for the water heater and if so, is the timer also for the water heater?

The management system shuts off power to that appliance and a credit is given on your electric bill, so, it cannot be double-tapped as that would do nothing but create a fire hazard. In order to have any effect, it would have to be pig-tailed.

The FPL management systems are usually wired to the a/c condensing units and sometimes the water heater. I have also found them wired to the pool and sprinkler timers. The homeowner wonders why the pool pump comes on at midnight.

I believe the power company can do whatever it feels is should. Meaning, they do not follow the same rules that everybody else does. Is is correct, no, allowed, yes.

Disagree is it correct no, allowed no. No private company can override the mandate of the manufacture, they can fight it all they want. But just ask FPL for a letter setting that if any defect or fire occurs to their illegal and against manufacture requirements, that they will accept all fees, costs, and inconvenience money that occurs due to the illegal and improper wiring practice.

See how long it takes to get that letter. Instead of accepting inferior and illegal and, in my opinion, blatant disregard for safety, why don’t we all just call it out like I do now? Together we can make a difference. The reason most people and companies get away with stuff is because people don’t stand up for what is right.

There ya go!!
Wrong is still wrong, no matter how many time they say it isn’t.

It is a common misconception that the utility service is not required to adhere to code. Generally, if the installation is on public or private premises, the installation must adhere to code. See NEC Article 90.2 (A).

Article 90.2 (B) specifically states the occupancies not ***covered ***by the NEC and includes installations under the exclusive control of the electric utility. An installtion in a private home can be controlled by anyone that may enter that dwelling and, as such, must adhere to the NEC.

I did not say it was right, I said it was allowed. They have no need to write a letter and they could care less. The are exempt from the codes. All that being said, I would call it out either way.

Can you please show me anywhere that any entity is expempt from the NEC, the AHJ may have something to say. But a private company such as the power company doies not have the right to disreguard the manufacture mandate and do as they please putting the public in possible harms way.

Please show me anywhere the the power/utility companies can do as they please? They are private companies, at least in my county they are.

When did you ever see or hear of an AHJ inspect anything the power company does? Have the ever pulled a permit?

That being said I stand corrected, looks like somethings have changed

25-6.034 Standard of Construction.
(1) The facilities of each utility shall be constructed, installed, maintained and operated in accordance with generally accepted engineering practices to assure, as far as is reasonably possible, continuity of service and uniformity in the quality of service furnished.
(2) Each utility shall, at a minimum, comply with the National Electrical Safety Code [ANSI C-2] [NESC], incorporated by reference in Rule 25-6.0345, F.A.C.
(a) For facilities constructed on or after February 1, 2007, the 2007 NESC shall apply. A copy of the 2007 NESC, ISBN number 0-7381-4893-8, may be obtained from the Institute of Electric and Electronic Engineers, Inc. (IEEE), 3 Park Avenue, New York, NY, 10016-5997.
(b) Facilities constructed prior to February 1, 2007, shall be governed by the edition of the NESC specified by subsections 013.B.1, 013.B.2, and 013.B.3 of the 2007 NESC, incorporated by reference in Rule 25-6.0345, F.A.C.
Specific Authority 350.127(2), 366.05(1) FS. Law Implemented 366.04(2)(c), (f), (5), 366.05(1) FS. History–Amended 7-29-69, 12-20-82, Formerly 25-6.34, Amended 2-1-07.

John,

You were correct the first time. The NECS regulates utilities and is different from the NEC.
FBC 2010
Section 102.2 (f) exempts: Those structures or facilities of electric utilities, as defined in section 366.02 Florida Statutes, which are directly involved in the generation, transmission, or distribution of electricity.
While I would agree with others that the double tap may not be technically compliant. Is it unsafe? Likely not. It is not as if a circuit has been added

Mark

Read the very first few words of the exemption. Those structures or facilities of electric utilities, as defined in section 366.02 Florida Statutes, which are directly involved in the generation, transmission, or distribution of electricity.

This panel is in either a private residence or a commercial property, it is not part of an electric utility. This exemption ONLY applies to power plants, generation rooms, sub stations, and the like. Once they connect to the service point, the NEC applies and governs the installation.

William,

I am not stating that I am in agreement with the installation, only that it does not fall under regulation by the AHJ. The device in question is owned by the utility and therefore is exempt from the Florida Building Code. No different than a transformer , a street light or such.
I am certainly not an electrician or pretend to be an expert so help educate me here. I see the two hot legs attached to the breaker and the blue wire connected to a white grounded conducter, how does this installation not have over current protection?
I was also under the assumption that the NEC 408.41 only stipulates that grounded conductors be under on terminal and defers to the listing of the panel manufacturer for the other terminals. Example square D manufactures breakers that are listed for more than one wire terminal. Now with that said only up to a 30 amp. breaker unless they have come out with something new for larger breakers

Mark

I had my mind on another post is why the comment about overcurrent protection. This is connected to a breaker, albeit double taps. Ignore that part.

As for the utility not falling under the AHJ, it only applies to buildings and equipment under the exclusive control of the utility. The structures and buildings, as well as their associated equipment, is always maintained by qualified individuals under the supervision of engineers. That is the reason they are provided the exception and why then they must comply with the NESC.

Unfortunately, as I know you have probably seen and experienced many times, private occupancies have all manner and all levels of tradesmen working in them. Many times they either are poorly trained or have an attitude of indifference regarding proper wiring methods. That is the reason their work falls under the scrutiny of the AHJ.

In power plants and utility distribution systems, Waldo the Wirewrecker or Harry the Hammerslinger isnt going to be allowed to step foot on site (he wouldnt last long anyways).

I hope this helps to explain the exemption and exceptions that are commonly afforded to power utilities.