Fused disconnect upstream of load center...

Hypothetically…

Assuming: the fused disconnect is just a simple disconnect located on a pole out front. The load center downstream (mounted on the house exterior wall) has a main disconnect.

1. The neutral bonds in the load center at the house and that’s the service, not the fused disconnect, even though it’s upstream, is that right?

2. The fused disconnect needs its own GEC and grounding electrode, but the neutral does not bond to it, is that right?

Or is that wrong? Does the neutral bond in the fused disconnect with a GEC and electrode there, making that the service?

The fused disconnect is the service and is where the grounding and neutral bond takes place.

The main in the panel is Simply a means of disconnect.

Thanks again, Jim!

The panel in the structure will still require that the structure have a grounding electrode system. The GEC from the electrodes would connect only to the EGC in the feeder to the panel and the panel enclosure.

One GEC and more than one electrode? I don’t understand what you’re saying. My understanding is:

• The load center at the house will have a GEC connected to an electrode, but the neutral will float, not bond, in the load center.

• The fused disconnect service panel will have a GEC and an electrode, and the neutral will bond to the panel and the GEC/electrode.

Does this mean that there’s a floating neutral bus bar in the load center to accommodate branch circuit neutral conductors, and a single neutral conductor connecting the floating neutral bus bar in the load center to the fused disconnect cabinet where neutral bonding takes place?

Robert said electrodes as more than one may be needed or if more than one exists that they all need to be bonded together. A single electrode like a rod has resistance requirements 9f being 25 ohms or less. The testing is expensive so it is easier to drive a second rod and avoid the need to test.

I believe you have it correct above in post #8. The neutral is only bonded to ground at the first means of disconnect, aka the service panel. All other panels it is isolated.

There would be two electrodes, one at the fused disconnect and one at the load center at the house, but sometimes they’re far apart and seems like connecting them would not be necessary.

It sounds like maybe you’re saying that there might be two at the house connected together, which is fairly common. Is that right?

Jim or Robert, can I call one of you?

Outbuildings also require grounding electrode systems if served by a feeder and not a single circuit.

I don’t want to post a phone number on a forum.

I understand.

Does this mean that there’s a floating neutral bus bar in the load center to accommodate branch circuit neutral conductors, and a single neutral conductor connecting the floating neutral bus bar in the load center to the fused disconnect cabinet where neutral bonding takes place?

Yes.

Does this seems like a reasonable description:

"When a fused disconnect is installed upstream of a load center, the fused disconnect is the service panel, and must have its own grounding electrode conductor (GEC) connected to a grounding electrode. It’s in this cabinet that the neutral conductor will be bonded to the panel, and to the GEC.
In this configuration, the load center, even if it has a main disconnect, is just a distribution panel, although it should have its own GEC and grounding electrode. At the load center, the neutral bus bar should float (be electrically isolated from the metal cabinet), and should not bond to the GEC. A single neutral conductor should connect the neutral bus bar in the load center to the fused disconnect. "

I would change the fused disconnect to first means of disconnect. A breakered disconnect could also be used.

That description would apply to panels in separate structures from the service. If in the same building there would not be a secondary grounding electrode system.

These may help.

Huge help Jim, thanks!

Robert and Jim,
I really appreciate you guys sharing your knowledge.

All the best to you both.

Thank you JPdO.

You’re welcome, it’s always better when electricians and home inspectors are on the same page. :cool: