Garage Wiring

How do I describe this obvious defect in the wiring going from house to garage mast. What you may not see in the photo is the electrical taped connection which I know is incorrect, but what I’m not sure about is the wires coming from the house (on the stucco wall). How do I describe this?

There is no Drip Loop , it is under too much tension, unable to locate or verify the attachment anchor connecting it to the house, I only see 2 lines going into the gooseneck mast , where are the other 2 going - cant make it out in foto. Where is the meter? Is it on the garage below the conduit masthead or is it completely covered by stucco on the house. This is a disaster. The only thing that looks good is the drip cap running down the side of the roof rake.

drip loop.jpg

The tape is to insulate the splice. I cannot comment further without being able to see under the splice.a

Any idea of how those wires exit the building?

Thank you Jim and Christopher. Here’s what I put in my report:

The wiring that extends from the house to the garage is not professionally done. I recommend having a licensed C-10 electrician evaluate it for repairs.

Chris, I think that is a feeder going to the garage, not a service.

open wiring on insulators and is code legal

Jim , thanx for pointing that out - I guess I had too much stucco on my glasses . Actually found a prior thread on this from 6/21/11 (don’t know how to link it) and attached 2 fotos of how it would look without all the stucco I guess. This prior post also talks about the grounding electrode etc. Its a good post if the OP wants to look it up
Not too familiar with overhead feeders to garages by me - all underground in conduit. What type of wire is used for this application being exposed to weather elements? Same as the service drop?

054.jpg

Personally, I wouldn’t be that specific in your recommendation.

That looks like a pretty typical set up for a mid 50’s home in SoCal. Where are you located?

I always recommend that these conductors be run underground, however, if they have proper clearance over the ground or driveway, there’s really nothing “wrong” with this set up.

My house and garage were built in 1952. I am in the Cleveland OH area. I have the same general wirinv to my garage. 4 separate wires run out over my driveway from the back of my house to feed the garage. Yesterday, one got snapped in half by a tree service company. I still have power in garage (door opens, lights turn on, beer fridge runs). The snapped wire is a solid copper line…is this a ground wire? Should I be worried? Is it difficult and or costly to just replace that line? I know modern set ups are buried but I want to keep cost down. Thanks for any advice!

Joe (not an electrician or inspector)

Joseph,

Any line that is supplying power to a structure that “snaps” is a concern that should be addressed by a local electrical contractor. If the line that snapped was the equipment grounding conductor then it should be fixed, if the line that snapped was the grounded(neutral) conductor and the equipment grounding conductor is supplying the path back (assuming here) then it should be fixed right away…if it was one of the phase conductors and all the other items in the garage are working because they are on the phase that did not snap…then it still should be fixed right away.

Bottom line, it should be fixed. It is not an issue of overhead versus underground, there are a lot of distribution lines running aboveground, but they just need more attention and care than underground lines…both are perfectly code compliant and safe IF installed correctly.

Id say no since there is no strain relief for the wires (a simple insulator nob would do it) and the absence of a drip loop.

I’m sorry as I must have missed something. You are saying no to what exactly Martin?

Not compliant IMO.

Ahhhh…gotcha!

I’m not sure why people are saying there is no drip loop. It’s pretty clear in the 1st pic.

A drip loop at the mast is not required, because that’s not the service drop. And it’s up stream from the garage, water is going to run down to the garage side.

Like Jeff said, it’s a typical set up for it’s time period.

Clearance is usually the main issue.

If it were my house, I’d want it re-routed underground just because, but some buyers don’t particularly care.