gas line in contact with romex?

Is it an issue that the wiring makes contact with the gas line? I did not thing so but wanted to solicit feedback.

Absolutely no issue…

I see what looks lake bare conductors…wtf.

So is it because black steel gas lines do not increase in temperature?

I’m not sure I understand the question, but it has nothing to do with temperature. NM can be in contact with hot-water piping as well as just about any building material.

Tell me what your thought or concern is, and I may be able to give you a better explanation.

1 Like

The gas pipe is grounded anyway.
But nobody here takes issue with this ?

Those look like low-voltage wires to me Bob. Hard to say without more info…

Looks like security wiring. I agree with Jeff.

They look thick.

That’s what she said :slight_smile:

Low voltage or not, that entire wiring job looks like crap.

I looked again, wiring exposed to damage, not secured correctly etc.

Yes the other wiring was low voltage.

I forgot about the securing rule. That is a great point.

Jeff,
I was trying to come up with reasons for the clients concern with the wiring. I thought maybe the wiring coming in contact with the gas line might be an issue if the pipe increased in temperature.

That’s pretty typical wiring. It’s not really susceptible to damage because that un-
decked portion of the attic is not a traffic area unless you are within 6 or 7 feet of the attic access (depending on the type of access).

It’s common practice here to use pipe insulation to prevent direct contact of the cable with metal piping, duct systems, etc. It’s so prevalent that I always took it to be a standard and never sought out any specific reference.

Here are some relevant NEC references for those not afraid of codes.

Note: this references AC type cable but the NM section refers to this article.

Thanks Chuck.

I’ve seen rodent-chewed wire too often to NOT call this out as a defect. What happens if there’s a small gas leak and you get arcing? Anything is possible, and how hard would it be to re-secure the wires to solve a potential safety issue. I wouldn’t be worried about the gas piping getting too hot. Coincidentally, I called this out in a pre-drywall inspection just the other day.

Since the gas utility lines are subsurface, they will maintain a fairly even temperature when active and will typically be at the ambient room temp when not.

I’m a little confused. The OP is about wire touching a gas line, but these wires are not. There is something like pipe insulation wrapped around them. I don’t see the concern?

A gas leak is an issue by itself, without consideration of anything else. Arcing wires are also a singular issue, as is rodent infestation or damaged components as a result of rodents.

Making this sort of “call” is completely unwarranted, and is in no way a defect. It is statements like this that make the home inspection profession look bad in the eyes of professional tradesmen and others in the building/construction industry.

1 Like

So there is evidence of past or live rodents but the insulation prevents you from determining any damage to the wires…