GFCI below panel ?

The GFCI next to or below a service panel. Can this have other outlets such as exterior outlets run downstream off of it?

Yes.

OK… Reason for the question was someone mentioned it could not.

There is someone to be careful of out there…:slight_smile:

What was their reasoning?

Not according to Article 210.52(G)(1) of the 2014 NEC

One of many new requirements…

I honestly did not ask I will follow up. It was another HI on the job with me so I said “really? huh”…

To the absolute best of my knowledge, there is no provision in the code for a receptacle next to a panel.
Sure, it’s a great matter of convenience, but that’s about it.
If one chooses to install one, it has to be code-compliant for the moment of the installation, including all the GFCI requirements.
So, if that receptacle is GFCI and functionally allows for downstream feeding of other receptacles, then why not!
In other words, there is no NEC designation for “next to the panel” circuit, so there are no specific restrictions pertaining to that receptacle other than general ones found elsewhere in the code (GFCI protection, conductor sizing, etc.)

I see that often on new installs. Usually acts as a GFCI receptacle in unfinished basement and protects outdoor receptacles

If it’s in a garage that is ^ (to my prior post)

A receptacle is required in an unfinished basement. Being an unfinished area also requires GFI protection.

To help discussion if needed this is in a basement and the basement is like half finished there is sheet rocked separated rooms w/doors and a sheetrock drop ceiling but thats it the walls are not finished, cement floor etc… Not sure of a finished basement definition I guess I will look that up see if I can find one.

Water doesn’t care if you call the basement finished or not…
If it is being inspected by AHJ, any inspector worth his/her salt, should require GFCI protection for any receptacles in the area that can get wet or flooded, such as a basement located below grade.
In other words, the definition of a “finished basement” is in the eye of the AHJ.

In some municipalities around here, it’s in the structural ceiling. What’s above you when you are in the basement?
If you see exposed joists – it’s not finished; Otherwise, it is a finished basement.
But, the AHJ inspectors doing their job should pick on GFCI protection regardless of the finished/unfinished status, if it’s below grade.
And we, as HI’s, in my opinion should recommend GFCI in any area that can get wet or flooded.

Could you please quote these requirements?

Absolutely.
Never could figure that one out. A basement is a basement period.

Obviously the CMPs feel differently than you do since they made a distinction between finished and unfinished areas. IMO the presence or lack of a ceiling finish has little bearing on defining the area as finished.

Any inspector that required gfi protection in a finished area better be prepared to show an amendment to back up the request.

Around here you see it a lot, no ceilings in basements means less taxes because it is considered unfinished. Just sayen

Well I thought I did quote one as Article 210.52(G)(1) Dwelling Unit Garage, Basement and Accessory Building Receptacles (you’ll have to look it up as I’m not going to type out the text)

Try these for more:
Article 210.8 GFCI Changes:
[INDENT]GFCI protection for all 125-volt, single-phase, 15- and 20 amp receptacles in laundry rooms.
GFCI protection shall be provided for outlets that supply dishwashers installed in dwelling units. This includes receptacles and hardwired (All GFCI’s must be readily accessible).
Article 210.12 AFCI Changes
Protection for Dwelling Units now required in kitchen, laundry and dormitories.
[/INDENT]
http://www.ieci.org/codes-and-standards/2014_nec_changes

I agree, the NEC even has a definition in 210.8(A)(5):

Since hurricane Sandy, lots of AHJ inspectors, home inspectors and private citizens around here changed their views.
I am not aware of any municipality around here that would have an amendment for a GFCI requirement for a finished area below grade. Building inspectors still pick on that, according to a few reports that I’ve heard.
Reason being, we’ve seen so many previously dry basements (finished or unfinished) flood in the past 2 years, that nobody in their right mind would think it’s too much to ask for GFCI protection in an area below grade.
If it’s below grade – it can flood. Period. We’ve seen it here time and again, during and since Irene and Sandy.

Of course, I can’t say on a home inspection report that there is an NEC or a local requirement for GFCI in a finished basement below grade; There isn’t. But, to keep my conscience clear, I can at the very least recommend it, while making it clear that it’s not a requirement.