GFCI Circuit Limit

Does anyone know if there is a limit to the number of receptacles allowed on one GFCI circuit? I had a brand new home and it had 9 (protected)receptales on one GFCI circuit. I have never seen that many on one circuit. One electrician told me that it is governed by the GFCI manufacture’s specifications.

I agree with your electrician. There is no limit unless the manufacturer sets one for their product. How did you end up with 9 on one circuit?

In Canada if you have a GFCI receptacle (the most common residential GFCI device today), only 7 receptacles can be protected after the device.

Don’t ever remember hearing of # that can be protected by a panel mounted CB…that would be limited by the # of recepts allowed by your codes.

Is that part of the CEC?

no… limited by the manufacturer’s instructions of the brands available here.

“I agree with your electrician. There is no limit unless the manufacturer sets one for their product. How did you end up with 9 on one circuit?”

Robert Meier, the property was 7200 sq ft new residential construction in Las Vegas, NV. I noted in my report that all 9 exterior receptacles are protected by one GFCI located in the garage. This way my client knows they were tested and where to reset them if need arises.