GFCI for Hot Tub

I know a hot tub nees to be protected by a GFCI. But I also thought it needed to be within reach/sight of the tub. I can’t find that requirement anywhere. Am I wrong?

See no reason it would be required.
Cut off switches for workers is what you may be mixing it up with.

Thanks Bob - maybe I confused it with an A/C or furnace service switch.

Beginning with the 2008 NEC (2009 IRC), the GFCI for a hydromassage bathtub has to be “readily accessible”. That means that you can get to it without having to remove a panel (such as the access panel provided for the motor). You’ll often see the GFCI in an adjacent closet or water closet to meet this requirement.

(It does not have to be within sight.)

Do you mean a hot tub or a hydromassage tub? There seems to be some confusion in this thread and the answer may be different depending on which one you’re referring to.

680.41 A clearly labeled emergency shutoff or control switch for the purpose of stopping the motor(s) that provide power to the recirculation system and jet system shall be installed at a point readily accessible to the users and not less than 1.5 m (5ft) away, adjacent to, and within sight of the spa or hot tub. This requirement shall not apply to single-family dwellings.

[FONT=Arial]Related Info:[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]DWELLING UNIT[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][size=2]120 volt GFCI Protected Outlets - REQUIRED LOCATIONS

[FONT=Arial][size=2][FONT=Arial][size=2]5c. Indoor spa or hot tub, receptacles within 10 feet for pump motor.[/size][/size][/FONT][/FONT]

[/FONT][/size]

That is just saying that any outlet within 10’ of an indoor spa or hot tub has to be protected. (Like any outlet within 6’ of a laundry tub has to be protected.)

Note that in the code, a spa or hot tub is different from a hydromassage bathtub. An *indoor *spa/hot tub is little or no different from an outdoor spa/hot tub (the water is not usually drained after each use). Whereas a hydromassage bathtub is permanently fixed, usually drained after each use, and is what we normally encounter in the master bathroom. We should be as professional as possible and use the correct terms in our reports.

Does not apply to hydromassage bathtubs (what we find in bathrooms).

Greg, are you talking about a spa/hot tub or a hydromassage bathtub?

I understand, why included: [FONT=Arial]

[/FONT][/FONT]

Both hot tubs and hydromassage tubs require a disconnecting means. The emergency shutoff for hot tubs is a separate requirement.

This is an outdoor hot tub. It is at the back of the hosue and the GFCI 50amp breaker is in the main panel,. in the garage , at the front of the house. The hot tub is properly protected, but I had thought (and installed for my own hot tub) a shut off within sight of the hot tub. Taht was the question, within sight?

A hot tub falls under the same rules as a permanently installed pool which requires this:

House built in 96 = not sure when the hot tub was installed - When was the above put into the NEC?