GFCI's required for Service Panel Upgrades?

Just curious as I don’t see much consistency in the field. I live in an area where there are 1,000’s of homes with 60 amp services. We all know there is a 100 amp minimum spec for insurance/mortgages so there are lots of service upgrades around here. Is the electrical contractor required to install a GFCI receptacle next to the panel when a new panel is installed? Sometimes they are there, sometimes they are not.
Thanks!

Depends on the AHJ. Would you also require AFCI? That’s the issue. Every jurisdiction is different.

I have the exact same issue as Greg, and you touched upon the reason.

The excuse that I get is the GFCI’s are in the branch circuit wiring and is not part of the upgrade.

AFCI are breakers so is considered a part of the upgrade.

BUT…

The local AHJ (if there is one at all) almost always overrides the requirement in towns/cities with less than 2500 pop. (The magic number for many code issues in MN.)

If I can tell the panel was recently upgraded, I just write them up as being missing, and let the other parties sort it all out.

No unless there was a new bedroom installed. Just had that on a flipped house last week. All work was done w/o a permit. I happened to see a picture on line that showed an unfinished attic last time it was sold. Now it’s a bedroom. Hmmmm.

I know the city electrical inspector. He would cite his grandma if she didn’t do something right. That’s my point. I’m thinking this service upgrade may not have had a permit.

We always install a new GFCI receptacle next to the panel on an upgrade if one is not present. This is one of those interpretive areas where it may or may not be required. Same goes for proper illumination of the new panel. For the light, we tell the customer that it’s included in the price if the area is very dark and we will install one near the panel.

What’s the reason for this? I’ve never observed this practice.

I have not either in Fort Pierce, FL.

Nor have I heard of it being required anywhere, except most industrialized parts of Indonesia.

Installing a new GFCI receptacle next to the panel is what is, typically, done around here also.

We have it in Ontario!

What is the purpose?

Ours are, typically, installed in a basement where one is needed.

Re: GFCI’s required for Service Panel Upgrades?

I think that’s been answered. The answer is “maybe.” It can be dependent on a number of factors, but the most important being the local AHJ.

So California and Florida hasn’t seen this practice. Perhaps due to panels being mounted to the exterior of the home?

Around here it (the GFCI receptacle next to the panel) often serves as the required one receptacle in a dwelling basement on upgrades.

As it is here.

Makes sense. And also in garages.

Could be. If there is a receptacle near the panel, GFCI protection would generally be required anyway since it’s outside.

I’ve seen receptacles installed within a foot or so of the panel, but I’ve never even considered that they might be a “required component” in some jurisdictions.