Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > Specific Inspection Topics > Electrical Inspections

Notices

Electrical Inspections Contains discussions about electrical systems. This includes receptacles, panels, wiring, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 7/29/06, 10:32 PM
New User

Please Note: Rafael is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.
Default ground-fault circuit interrupter

can someone tell me if this is normal. I put a circut tester one that beeps
to a gfci outlet outside of my home and it did not beep and show any flow of electricity but i hooked up something to it and it works fine , is this a normal reading. i tested my garage one and it beeped like it should when current is passing. so why did the outside gfci not beep but works fine? thanks
Old 7/31/06, 1:12 AM
InterNACHI Member

Send a message via Skype™ to pabernathy
Default Re: ground-fault circuit interrupter

Radael,

Maybe the one outside is defective.....I have seen quite a few GFCI's that work like a normal receptacle but dont trip or trip when tested...because they are defective or in the case of older models possibly wired incorrectly.

But I would er on the side of it being defective...heck GFCI's cost about $ 6.00 now days...just replace it....no biggie...

Paul W. Abernathy
Manager, Electrical Codes & Standards
Encore Wire Corporation

“Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.”

Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum are of my own personal opinion and in no way represent the opinions of Encore Wire, or other associations, organizations or affiliations.