GEC on waste stack

A new one for me - the grounding electrode conductor was attached to the plumbing waste stack instead of the water pipe. Anyone ever see this before? :wha?:

Ok - I think I found out why this is wrong.

NEC E3608.1.1 Metal Underground Water Pipe.
A metal underground water pipe that is in direct contact with the earth for 10 feet or more…that is electrically continuous by bonding around insulating joints or insulating pipe to the points of connection of the grounding electrode conductor and bonding conductors shall be considered as a grounding electrode.

I’m not convinced that the waste line is “electrically continuous”.

IMO that does not fit what the NEC considers of a water pipe electrode. It’s permitted to be bonded but it cannot serve as a required electrode.

Well, it is a pipe, and it does carry water LOL, but I agree with you. Also, it can’t be “electrically continuous for 10 feet” due to the oakum and other sealants used at the joints.

Is that threaded pipe? If so then it is an electrode as the code section does not say potable or waste water pipe but only water pipe

At any rate doing a Home Inspection it is not a defect

Not threaded. The joints were filled with oakum or whatever was used in 1912 when this house was built. I really don’t think an electrical path was established for the required
10 feet.

That would be lead.

Melted and poured into the joint.

Exactly .

You may be right Mike.

Still it isn’t an electrically sound connection.
Lead just seals the fitting together. Doesn’t in actuality bond .
I still would have like to put my ohms meter across it to see how good it did bond.

It looks like the lug is either laying on the shoulder of the 90 or is anchored by a self tapping screw. Either way not a code compliant connection and a waste pipe such as this cant serve as a grounding electrode.