Just in case you believe AFCI's don't work...

Just in case there are people out there who believe AFCI’s do not work. If they only save one life they are worth every dime. On June 19, 2012 the CPSC released a recall on a specific brand of luminaire which is very popular. The product had 11 complaints of defect and all where in homes where an AFCI detected the problem and eliminated the chance of a fire.

Read the CPSC here : http://www.cpsc.gov/CPSCPUB/PREREL/prhtml12/12197.html

Thank GOD for AFCI’s…or the fine minds that conceived them.

Ceiling Mounted Light Fixtures Recalled by Thomas Lighting Due to Fire and Shock Hazards

WASHINGTON, D.C. - The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, in cooperation with the firm named below, today announced a voluntary recall of the following consumer product. Consumers should stop using recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed. It is illegal to resell or attempt to resell a recalled consumer product.

Name of product: Thomas Lighting ceiling flush mount light fixtures

Units: About 83,750

Manufacturer: Thomas Lighting, of Elgin, Ill; part of Philips Consumer Luminaires Corporation, of Elgin, Ill.
Hazard: The fixture’s socket wire insulation can degrade, leading to charged wires becoming exposed, causing electricity to pass to the metal canopy of the fixture. This poses a fire and electric shock hazard to consumers.

Incidents/Injuries:** Thomas Lighting has received 11 reports of defective fixtures which resulted in the home’s Arc Fault Circuit Interrupter (AFCI) tripping.** No injuries have been reported to the firm.

Description: This recall involves 28 different models of ceiling flush-mounted light fixtures manufactured between June 1, 2010 through November 25, 2010 with a diameter ranging from 7.5" to 13". All affected fixtures have a round base or canopy affixed to the ceiling and a dome- or cylindrical-shaped cover. The recalled fixtures have a variety of finishes including metal and/or clear or frosted glass and contain one, two or three light bulbs. Canopies are a range of colors including white, bronze, brass (gold) and nickel. Most models have a nib in the center of the dome cover in the same color as the canopy. Although the manufacturer’s name, the fixture model number and production date can be found on a printed label on the ceiling-side of the fixture’s metal canopy, consumers are advised not to remove the metal canopy from the ceiling in order to access this label.
Sold at: Electrical distributors and lighting wholesalers nationwide from July 2010 through July 2011 for between $19 and $50 as Thomas Lighting products.

Manufactured in: China

Remedy: Consumers should immediately stop using the light fixture, avoid direct contact with the fixture and contact Thomas Lighting to arrange for a free in-home repair of the fixtures by a qualified electrician.

Consumer Contact: For additional information, contact Thomas Lighting at (800) 764-0756 between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. ET Monday through Friday, or visit the firm’s website at www.thomaslighting.com

Made in China.
So the insulation on the socket conductor is not very good and may wear out touching the fixture base (metal).
Thanks for the info.

That is such a popular style I do not see guys bringing in the ladders and checking out the manufacturer unfortunately.

AFCIs are a useful devices but just because they may save a single life it does not make them “worth every dime”

If an insurance company wants to offer discounts for AFCI protect structures and refuse to write insurance if they aren’t there that’s fine.

But a government entity mandating them is simply overstepping their duty and is very nanny state like.

You can bet that either the manufacturer or the testing lab that verified standards compliance did something wrong.

In any case thank for posting a real world example of how AFCI can be beneficial.

P.S. I bet you can guess how I feel about fire sprinklers too. :wink:

35 DOLLARS A POP.
I am glad they do save lives but how many will remove them when they keep tripping.

firstly, if you think the loss of memories, a home and possibly a family is worth skipping out on a few bucks then we are in sad times. The cost argument simply does not hold water because in new homes it would cost less than 1/2 of 1 percent to the cost of the home to provide AFCI protection.

The typical circuit breaker at a cost of $ 7.00 versus an AFCI at a cost of $40.00. The difference is an increase cost of 33.00 dollars. The typical home may have at the max about 10 AFCI devices. The cost is 330.00 added to the home. Now, in regards to tripping…like any myth it gets blown out of proportion as anything else. Are we so vain as professionals to think that possibly user error contributes to the majority of issues that are found with AFCI’s.

So people would not recommend AFCI’s as a safety enhancement because they personally feel they may trip unwarranted…and a smoke alarm may go off by accident so lets remove those also. Also how about hurricane clips…what are the chances we will have one of those come by right…heck lets remove GFCI’s while we are at it as they could possibly trip for no reason and what about that grounding electrode system…whats that needed for right??? Heck lets just pass on all proven things that save property and potentially lives.

I can almost bet 95% of the people who do not support AFCI’s do not truly…(I mean the ins and outs) of how they work and only base an opinion based on stories or isolated incidents. I have AFCI’s in my home on all my 120V branch circuits and would not remove them for anything…but then again I know how they work so maybe that makes me different…:wink:

Anyway…the post was to show a specific example of an AFCI device helping pinpoint a defective product which has almost 90,000 units from CHINA in our everyday market. Nothing more…Nothing less my friends…

That’s fine Paul.

You chose to put them in. Good for you.

I want that same choice. Period.

And I really do appreciate the real world example.:smiley:

I guess you mean instead of finding the problem?

I guess the fact that most fires are put out with only 1 or 2 heads without having a firefighter risk their life or that more of your home is saved is irrelevant? Or that the sprinklers work 24/7/365 without any needed intervention after the small cost of installation means nothing either.

I do care Jim problem is people will not throw out there pot lights even after you tell them they are dangerous or on Recall. I would never recommend you remove them unless they are the ones for recall.
I do agree with Paul but it is easy to sit and say no problem from his perspective.
Should they be protected by AFCI or GFCI, only time will tell.

I think it is completely appropriate for insurance companies to offer substantial discounts for sprinklered homes.

When they do that, I will believe they are truly cost effective.

Until then we should all desire to keep the right to make our own choices.

Personally I agree with Mike.
If you wish to buy empty land and live in a cardboard box with a squirrel in a cage providing electricity it should be up to you.

No doubt some government agency will make sure the squirrel has a license and then force you to take a course in proper care of the animal with fines amounting to more than the land is worth if not completed with in a certain time frame.
They will then confiscate the land and put it up for sale where it will be bought by a local Real Estate agency owned by the Mayors Uncle who will sell it for a large profit and bring up the value of the neighborhood forcing larger taxes and more people to default on their mortgages or be forced to get a second loan from the local Bank which just happens to be owned by the Mayors brother in law.
At least we are protected .

There is no benefit to GFCI protection on interior lighting circuits. However, if you are so inclined, there’s no reason why you couldn’t provide both GFCI protection and AFCI protection to every outlet.

I once lived in a city where there was barely enough room to walk between buildings. I was planning on buying that cute little house but got to thinking that my neighbor might have done something to their home that would cause a fire. If their house catches on fire my little house will be in grave danger.

I went to the mayor and asked if there were any rules for the type work they did to their home that could cause me to be worried about my cute little house. He replied that this is America and we all should have the right to do in our homes as we please without regard to what damage we might be causing to others.

I moved!!!

Cool. Freedom is a wonderful thing.

Here we go again. Would you please explain the difference between the two, and what each ones main purpose is.

So the afci’s protect occupants from defective chinese light fixtures… Where are the afci’s made?

Have you ever heard of a canned comment! Lol

Sure have. They’re the majority of your “answers”.

This is worth mentioning again
http://www.mikeholt.com/mojonewsarchive/AFCI-HTML/HTML/AFCI_-_Why_I_Have_a_Problem_With_It~20020801.htm

You have already been told that that article is 10 years old.

MORON