Kitchen light on GFCI

Can a kitchen overhead light be on a GFCI circuit? The light wnet out when the GFCI was tripped. Can’t find anything in NEC

Anything can be…
Just would not recommend it on refrigeration circuits due to failure rate of these devices.

It can’t be on the counter top GFCIs (AKA small appliance circuit)

Greg I have on occasion seen the bathroom light on the GFCI circuit, is that allowed?

1st when was the home built?
2nd was a code “codified” when it was built
3rd so it is not allowed today.

Report it as not to todays standards but no BIG deal.

Sounds like nitpikky BS to me.

If anything I like it being protected by a GFCI. It is ‘over’ a wet location.

Again that is the chickens…t. that I get called out to say is no big deal.

Bathroom light it depends.

Is it on the same circuit as that ‘one’ bathroom?

What code (cycle) are you using?

Mostly 03 IRC

Hi Mike Thanx, that’s kinda what I thought.

I ususlly find it on circa 1950’s block home where the only outlet used to be in the light fixture over the sink. After some minor fix and flip electrical updating an outlet is added for all the new fangled gizmos.

Brian

Use the 2005 NEC as your guide.

Unless you, everyone, know what was/is acceptable at any give time you are hanging your neck out there to be CHOPPED off.

Please watch what you say regarding electrical.

At least in Ohio you are NOT required to update anything unless the AHJ says that it is required (my opinion a safety hazard).

I may consider the 05 NEC when Phoenix adopts it.

Greg stated above that the overhead light cannot be on the counter small appliance circuits… is there a NEC section for that?

250.52(b)(2) 2005 Nec

The thing about receptacles and lights being on the same circuit is that if you trip the breaker while using the receptacle you might not want to be in the dark dealing with a defective appliance or whatever. Could be a safety concern in my opinion, regardless of code.

Charles

I agree that is why I put my lights and outlet on different curcuits.

It is not required.

Hey Guys,

Ok…my voice on this…you all know my mouth…:slight_smile:

Ok…

1.) The light over the sink on GFCI is not big deal as long as like Greg stated it is not on the counter top circuit…
2.) GFCI in bathrooms as mike stated CAN run lights as well as long as the circuit to that bathroom is ONLY for that bathroom and the circuit does not leave that bathroom.

Now…for my opinions on GFCI’s…HI’s should always recommend them in the report, the life you SAVE might be your client…:wink:

I came back today from a house that was just inspected by a local home inspector…and I am quite sad over it…this house was in bad shape, 30A edison fuses on 14 AWG for bedroom circuits, BX being used as the EGC and replacing the plugs with 3 hole plugs everywhere…again guys…BX is not a EGC…but I am sure everyone knows that by now.

Anyway…I am going to need to hold a freakin LOCAL class just to make sure crap like this does not get missed again…even the sub panel was old SE…that was worn to death…and guess what…(10 ) no ground present plugs that were not even on the report…but had 3 hole plugs in them…

Sad to say…I was their FIXING an emergency electrical issue…not inspecting the house…dang glad of that…found extention cord wire feeding a light in the wall…yep…all this RIGHT in my face…fixing one issue and finding all this obvious other issues…so I asked the read the report…she let me…it was SAD…

OK…I am done whining…Where was I…oh yeah…I push GFCI’s everywhere and let THEM choose to ignore my suggestions…I can sleep at night knowing I atleast told them…

What does this code reference for grounding electodes have to do with outlets on GFCI counter circuits??

What does this code reference for grounding electrodes have to do with outlets on GFCI counter circuits??

I believe that was to be 210.8 2002 NEC

[FONT=Times-Roman][size=2][FONT=Times-Bold][size=2]
[/size][/FONT]

[/size][/FONT]

[FONT=Times-Bold][FONT=Times New Roman]210.8 Ground-Fault Circuit-Interrupter Protection for[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]Personnel.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]FPN: See 215.9 for ground-fault circuit-interrupter protection[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]for personnel on feeders.[/FONT]
FONT=Times-Bold Dwelling Units. All 125-volt, single-phase, 15- and[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]20-ampere receptacles installed in the locations speci.ed in[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]1 through 8 shall have ground-fault circuit-interrupter[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]protection for personnel.[/FONT]
FONT=Times New Roman Bathrooms[/FONT]
FONT=Times New Roman Garages, and also accessory buildings that have a .oor[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]located at or below grade level not intended as habitable[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]rooms and limited to storage areas, work areas,[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]and areas of similar use[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]Exception No. 1 to (2): Receptacles that are not readily[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]accessible.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]Exception No. 2 to (2): A single receptacle or a duplex receptacle[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]for two appliances located within dedicated space for[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]each appliance that, in normal use, is not easily moved from[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]one place to another and that is cord-and-plug connected in[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]accordance with 400.7(A)(6), (A)(7), or (A)[8].[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]Receptacles installed under the exceptions to 210.8(A)(2)[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]shall not be considered as meeting the requirements of[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]210.52(G)[/FONT]
FONT=Times New Roman Outdoors[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]Exception to (3): Receptacles that are not readily accessible[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]and are supplied by a dedicated branch circuit for[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]electric snow-melting or deicing equipment shall be permitted[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]to be installed in accordance with 426.28.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]Receptacles installed under the exceptions to 210.8(A)(5)[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]shall not be considered as meeting the requirements of[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]210.52(G).[/FONT]
FONT=Times New Roman Crawl spaces — at or below grade level[/FONT]
FONT=Times New Roman Un.nished basements — for purposes of this section,[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]unfnished basements are de.ned as portions or areas of[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]the basement not intended as habitable rooms and limited[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]to storage areas, work areas, and the like[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]Exception No. 1 to (5): Receptacles that are not readily[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]Accessible.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]Exception No. 2 to (5): A single receptacle or a duplex receptacle[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]for two appliances located within dedicated space for[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]each appliance that, in normal use, is not easily moved from[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]one place to another and that is cord-and-plug connected in[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]accordance with 400.7(A)(6), (A)(7), or (A)[8].[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]Exception No. 3 to (5): A receptacle supplying only a permanently[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]installed .re alarm or burglar alarm system shall not[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]be required to have ground-fault circuit-interrupter protection.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]
(6) Kitchens — where the receptacles are installed to serve
[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]the countertop surfaces[/FONT]
FONT=Times New Roman Laundry, utility, and wet bar sinks — where the receptacles[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]are installed within 1.8 m (6 ft) of the outside[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]edge of the sink[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][8] Boathouses[/FONT][/FONT]

Actually Mike (Mr. non-NACHI member:p) was refering to 210.52(B)(2) NEC 2005

Paul. do you have a good list of the history of NEC code changes available? I only have the NEC 2005 at this time and would like to know when code changes with regard to residential sytems were changed.

**And to go furthur…to someone asked about the small appliance circuits on the counter and so on…

(2) No Other Outlets. **The two or more small-appliance
branch circuits speci.ed in 210.52(B)(1) shall have no
other outlets.

And 210.52(B)(1) Reads…
**[FONT=Times-Bold]size=2 Small Appliances.
(1) Receptacle Outlets Served. **In the kitchen, pantry,
breakfast room, dining room, or similar area of a dwelling
unit, the two or more 20-ampere small-appliance branch
circuits required by 210.11©(1) shall serve all wall and
.oor receptacle outlets covered by 210.52(A), all countertop
outlets covered by 210.52©, and receptacle outlets for
refrigeration equipment.

[/size][/FONT]

Here you go fella…

http://www.mikeholt.com/documents/nec/pdf/GFCI_requirement_page2.pdf