Spas and hot tubs, 680.43(A),
Wet bar sinks, 210.8(A)(7)
Swimming pools,

*see *Swimming

pools, fountains, and [FONT=Times-Roman][size=1]
similar installations

Split Second Safety GFCI

Code Proposal Development for the 2011 NEC
[FONT=Arial][FONT=Comic Sans MS]The NEC is revised every 3 years. What are some of your ideas for any changes? [/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Any new ideas for your proposals for the 2011 NEC must be done at this proposal stage and sent in before [size=4][size=3]11/7/08.[/size][/size][/size] [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]Otherwise, you’ll have to wait for the 2014 NEC! [/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Here’s a new Power Point file developed by the IAEI: www.IAEI.org[/FONT]

1. [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Developing good proposals](http://www.iaei.org/committees/codeproposaldevelopment.ppt)[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]2. Online proposals are also permitted by NFPA.[/FONT]
[/FONT][/FONT][/size][/FONT]

Do you have the dates each of those went into effect?

Reviewing the NEC editions from 1968 on, and searching the index will have that information, Very good question.

I sold most of my old NEC’s to Jerry Peck, but maybe the NFPA Library 617-770-3000 can help with that information.

I will bet Mike knows, or will give this assignement to his students, I hope.

I know that the book that many home inspectors have “Electrical Inspection of Existing Dwellings” has a chart in it with all those dates. I think that book might be out of print now. It was pretty expensive, as I remember.

I have a list that I believe came from that book, but it isn’t up to date and as inclusive as the locations that Joe posted.

**That list could be updated so we can be sure of the dates, again the index in each code can be a good place for us to start.

Here’s another option:

**215.9 Ground-Fault Circuit-Interrupter Protection for **Personnel. **Feeders supplying 15- and 20-ampere receptacle branch circuits shall be permitted to be protected by a ground-fault circuit interrupter in lieu of the provisions for such interrupters as specified in 210.8 and 590.6(A).

[quote=Marc D. Shunk]
I know that the book that many home inspectors have “Electrical Inspection of Existing Dwellings” has a chart in it with all those dates. I think that book might be out of print now. It was pretty expensive, as I remember.[/quot

Here is an easy to follow version. http://www.mikeholt.com/documents/nec/pdf/GFCI_requirement_page2.pdf

cutting through the chatter.

When if at all does GFCI need to be on an counter Island .I thought only with in 6 feet.

Some one said they all need it.

Refering to near a kitchen though it should not matter .

For a few code cycles now in a residence it has been ALL receptacles serving kitchen counters. The “six foot rule” as been gone for a while.

General use wall receptacles do not require GFI protection.

Ok… serving kitchen counters

What constitutes a kitchen counter since an Island is far away from water?

I agree. I have done kitchens with isolated sections of counter that were on opposite walls from the sink and totally removed.
GFI’s made NO sense whatsoever, but were required.

I don’t think there is any denying that an island counter is still a counter though.

Ok …
I always figure part of a continuous counter, but will make note.

The 210.08(A)(6) rule about GFCIs just says “countertops”, there is no reference to sinks or water. They specifically address peninsulas and islands.
Basically if you are barefoot on a ceramic tile floor you might as well be ankle deep in water.

They all need it Bob, it turns out that many of the appliances you plug in, in the kitchen have something to do with liquid.

Hi all,

it’s simpler than that, if the outlet services a horizontal surface in or adjacent to the kitchen it needs to be GFCI.

Regards

Gerry

GfI are not all about water. They started that way years ago. GFI’s protect against current leakage in appliances and tools. Worn motors in mixers, electric knives, bad cords etc.

http://www.nfpa.org/assets/files//PDF/Proceedings/Dini_paper_-_History_Residential_Wiring.pdf

The ground-fault circuit-interrutper (GFCI) was developed in the 1960’s based on a concept by Professor Charles Dalziel of the University of California at Berkeley. The GFCI became a success soon after it was developed into a commercial product by a handful of companies, including several circuit breaker manufacturers. The GFCI was first required by the Code in 1968 for underwater swimming pool lighting fixtures. Backyard swimming pools were becoming popular at that time as more and more city dwellers were moving to the more spacious suburbs. In subsequent years the Code was revised to add the required use of GFCIs to other areas of the house, especially locations where people would be standing on earth or cement ground, or near water. By the 1980’s, receptacle type GFCIs were also becoming popular. Just 25 years after the GFCI was first introduced, the number of accidental electrocutions in the U.S. had dropped in half, even though the use of electricity had more than doubled in that same time period.

**These are the locations in and around the home when GFCIs were first required: **
**1968 - Swimming Pool Underwater Lighting **
**1971 - Receptacles Near Swimming Pools **
**1973 - Outdoor Receptacles **
**1975 - Bathroom Receptacles **
**1978 - Garage Receptacles **
**1981 - Whirlpools and Tubs **
**1987 - Receptacles Near Kitchen Sinks **
**1990 - Receptacles in Unfinished Basements and Crawl Spaces **
**1993 - Receptacles Near Wet Bar Sinks **
**1996 - All Kitchen Counter-Top Receptacles **
2005 - Receptacles Near Laundry and Utility Sinks

Gerry,

Where did horizontal surfaces adjacent to kitchens come from?

I agree with all else, but we dont want someone to think that a receptacle beneath any horizontal surace, say on the opposing side of a common wall in a dining room, needs to be fed via GFCI.

Hi Joe, you’re right, a bad choice of words on my part, the point I was trying to get across was that any kichen work surface outlet should be GFCI protected.

Regards

Gerry

or removed and properly relocated! :shock: