Main and sub question

Newer installed main panel had 3 60 amp breakers and then the bottom legs fed the original 200 amp panel in the basement. Is this acceptable or not. I would think that the addition would cause the original main to become a sub.

The panel in the basement would be considered a sub panel since it’s after the service disconnect. What size conductors feed the subpanel?
Are there two green conductors under one lug at the top?

No the two green were the grounds. One beaker was for the compressor the other two for heat strips. The house was only 200o sf and had a 5 ton heat pump. I will just wirte it up as such. Thanks Robert.

Why in the heck would a 200 sq foot house need a 200 amp feed or a 5 ton HVAC?

2000 sf that was a type o The 5 ton is another story

What is the size disconnect at “main” panel?

Think about it a bit differently, and it may be less confusing on future inspections.

The original panel doesn’t “become” anything. It’s “use” has changed. It is no longer the service equipment, it is now a load-side (sub) panel.

It was 200 amp also, which was another deal as well. The only conclusion I could come up with is the previous owner got a used heat pump and had a someone add the new panel with extra breakers for the upgrade.

Whats confusing is trying to figure out what the last clown chose to do. Always fun around here.

Keeps your job interesting. :mrgreen:

sub panel requires the neutrals to be insulated from the grounds and the panel should not be bonded

All panels are required to be bonded to the GES.

lol…now you know it was not 200 sq ft…lol…silly man !

It should indeed be bonded…just not to the grounded (neutral ) conductor at this remote distribution panel. It should be bonded to the equipment grounding conductor (EGC) provided (I Hope) within the feeder to this panel.