Meter Cans

Can some one tell me why meter cans on the exterior of a structure are not made to be self flashing?

Who wants a water leak at a 200 amp service?:roll:

I’d have to ask what IS self flashing?

Dryer vents?
Hose bibs?
Wall exhaust fans?
Furnace vents?

IMO flashing is the resopnsibility of the siding guys in new construction.

For vinyl I like those Arlington meter can bases with the built-in J channel all the way around.

Renovation or replacements? Yup, it’s up to us.

Self-flashing?

As far as I’m concerned, all meter cans are water tight.

Do you have a picture of the meter can in question?

Like this David.

http://www.badstucco.com/Leaks101_files/frame.html # 10 on the left side!

Thank you for the clarification, Carl.

For some strange reason, I was thinking the meter can itself (the exterior lid and all).

In that image the installer is at fault, NOT the meter can. That enclosure should be on the SURFACE, not recessed into the stucco.

Speedy Petey,

Even when they are mounted on the surface they still need to be flashed some how!

Most of the time in the KC metro they mount a scrap of plywood on the wall then the can. IMO thats just making it worse!

That one appears to be mounted on the OSB!

No way. All that there is is four small screw holes. There are raised “bosses” at each screw hole to keep about 1/4" space behind the box.
I typically put a blob of silicone at each mounting boss.

If there is only four small screw holes where do the wires go into the house at?

And in the pic I talked about the damage will occur under the can in the wall.

The cable/conduit penetration is a different subject.
In my expereince only about 20% of these installations does the cable/conduit go straight out the back. In fact most new homes are underground fed with the meter out on a pedestal.

Around here they go in thru the back of the can.

Now that we are on this subject…How about someone posting pics of the rear portion of a meter panel?

Just so we can see the differences.

I do not have any of those pics.

Hopefully someone will post pics now. I just requested it here…
http://www.nachi.org/forum/showthread.php?p=299894

Meter cans are NEMA 3R rated. They do not leak. It is the things we do to meter cans that make them leak. This list of things will include:

• Broken or improperly installed weatherhead*]Weatherhead not oriented to exclude rain, ie. - installed horizontally*]Cracked SE cable riser or broken raceway entering the top of the meter can*]Weathered SE cable riser, absorbing water like a sponge*]Weatherproof connector on the top of the meter can improperly tightened*]Lack of or weathered secondary sealing compound on weatherproof SE cable riser connector*]Ring type meter can missing the meter retaining ring*]Damaged meter can

I submit to you that you can install a meter can on the surface of any building without flashing and it will not leak. It is the entries to that meter can that do leak when improperly done, and admit water into the can. Often, this water finds its way into the panel as well.

Like this?

http://www.selfhelpandmore.com/homewiringusa/2002/maindwelling/meter/400ameterbase2.jpg

I generally find the same thing. It does not matter what type of siding is installed…

Bare OSB…

I NEVER mount meter pans on bare wood unless it is PT or cedar.
Quite often I need to bring the pan out to meet the new finish and that is when I use wood behind it, or one of those vinyl mounting blocks I mentioned.

I HATE seeing a meter pan that has vinyl J channel around it. To me that says tacky and lazy.

JH

Thats what I was talking about!

No moisture barrier no flashing good chance for plenty of rot!

Mr Larson, Sir:

If the two raceways are of metal are we supposed to bond them together, and to the termination in this enclosure, also the concentric knockouts would be a problem if there was a ground fault.

Mr Whitt kindly pick it up from here and provide supporting information, I have to feed the pigeons on my roof!

http://www.selfhelpandmore.com/homewiringusa/2002/maindwelling/meter/400ameterbase2.jpg