For My Buddy Duffy

Nothing really “wrong” here, but you were asking for it. . . :wink:

The top bus bar is a bit warmer than the lower, but nothing I considered abnormal.

IR_0114.jpg

P7290009.JPG

:smiley:

Oh Lord…:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

121?..no of course she’s fine…:smiley: …I bet it won’t be very long before we see temps in the 160-200 Range…:smiley: …From Santa Zinsco Clarita…:cool:

I think the hottest breaker I scanned (found) with the IR Therm. was 190…:-;;

It looks like the insulated conductors are touching the live bus. That’s not good.

What’s considered a “normal”, and what’s considered “excessive” for the temerature range?

That’s a difficult question to answer Mark.

Temperatures of 150 and below don’t usually get my attention, but it really depends on other factors as well. When there is discoloration to the breaker, wire, terminal or bus bar, regardless of the temps, there is something “not right.”

A high temp reading (IMHO) should generally be considered as a means to “confirm” a problem, rather than to “diagnose” a problem.

They were close (very common with Zinsco), but not touching. . .

Jeff;

Pardon my French, but would not a 40 amp breaker drawing 30 to 35 amps at the time you took the camera shot explain why the temp. reading is such as it was?

Marcel :slight_smile:

That was the circuit for the condensing unit of the A/C after about 15 minutes of operation. The house was vacant, so no other circuits were in operation at that time (except the FAU).

Jeff, Did you move your position with the camera to determine whether it was a heat related problem or a reflection?

Yep. I always look from several different angles.

I don’t know about this one you guys!

I think you should change the emissivity setting in your software and see what that low emissive bar is actually kicking out there!

I understand that this is a hot panel, but the temps your camera is showing is for 97% emissivity? What happens at 23%? Aluminum is from .10 -.40 depending how corroded it is. That bar could be from 250-300 degrees F.

I’d bet my left arm Jeff checked the bar temp with his IR Therm also…:smiley:

What a guy!
Sacraficing “unused” body parts.
You are a righty, right?

Big B…:smiley::smiley:

Hey…I bet Nick a years salary he didn’t land a couple hundred thousand foreclosure inspections, so I’m down to body parts until Nick PAYS up…!!!..:smiley: :smiley:

http://www.nachi.org/forum/showthread.php?t=10837&page=27&highlight=couple+hundred+thousand+foreclosure

…:twisted: …:mrgreen:

My digital thermometer read 120 degrees, which is awful close to what the BCAM shows. I don’t consider this to be abnormal by any means.

I’m still a beginner with my BCAM, but I have a little experience with the rest of my tool box, and I’m certainly no stranger to likes of Zinsco. . . :wink:

Thanks Jeff…I needed that arm…:smiley:

I’ll wait and see before I give up any body parts! :slight_smile:

What is the difference between an IR thermometer and a bolometer (IR Camera)?
The graphics is produces.
They are both wrong.

Be right back…

Don’t make any more arm bets!

OK, back on another computer.

Here we have two thermal scans of a very hot motor.
In this case, the shell of the motor is a near black body, but I don’t have a hot buss pic available so this will have to do.

I selected a point on the motor that was about 120 degrees F, taken with the camera set to default (.97).

The second picture I changed the emissivity setting to .20 which is mid way between the aluminum emissivity range. The spot was left in the same place. What happened?

I’ll collect that arm now Dale! I can use another hand around here! :slight_smile:

Funny David…!!!..:smiley:

Hey, I don’t know a damn thing about the IR Cams (except I want one)…:smiley: …and what I have learned from you and the rest of the crew who have them…:smiley:

Well, did you check the temp of the motor with your IR Therm also?

Yes, and it is is even less accurate because the resolution of the IR Thermometer averages more pixels. The BCAM is much better.

Oh, another thing I just noticed, see how the blue band where I put the spot meter is cooler than the other part of the motor? It’s painted aluminum! The other parts are steel. See the steel bolt passing through the aluminum hub?

This is a good example of thermal conductivity.
Alu = 1644 BTU inch/hr-sq ft-F
Steel = 346

Alu is cooler because heat is released at a greater rate per time then steel.

Also, see how the Alu hub looks hotter at the bottom? Heat rises?
This is an example of how the geometry of an object effects the scan. It is a reflection.