Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > Specific Inspection Topics > Electrical Inspections

Notices

Electrical Inspections Contains discussions about electrical systems. This includes receptacles, panels, wiring, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12/29/12, 5:28 PM
InterNACHI Member

Default my house, my question

I pulled out an old spa from the exterior. The old electric box is now capped off with the old spa motor 30a wires tucked away in it. Can I/how do I install a GFCI outet there? I figured, why waste it, the wires are ran already and I could use an outlet on the patio... Thank you for your help.

"Be Proud of Your Home, Go With Pride!"
'Not just a Home Inspection, but an Education'

Pride Property Inspections provides professional Home Inspections throughout Tucson and Southern Arizona including Pima, Cochise, Pinal, Santa Cruz, Graham counties.

Need a home inspection in Mississippi? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Mississippi certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 12/29/12, 5:39 PM
InterNACHI Member

Send a message via AIM to sstanczyk
Default Re: my house, my question

If it were me, I would add an exterior box on one side of the spa box for your receptacles (4) and another box on the other side with an outdoor switch for future added lighting, fountain, pond, storage shed or whatever. Do all the wiring at once and put a lock on the spa / new junction box.

Stephen Stanczyk
Washington State Licensed Home Inspector # 221
President, Washington Association of Property Inspectors (WAPI)
(253) 241-0602 calls answered until 10pm

Pierce County -Thurston County - King County - Snohomish County
Old 12/29/12, 5:47 PM
Active Poster

Please Note: Robert Meier is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtimpani View Post
I pulled out an old spa from the exterior. The old electric box is now capped off with the old spa motor 30a wires tucked away in it. Can I/how do I install a GFCI outet there? I figured, why waste it, the wires are ran already and I could use an outlet on the patio... Thank you for your help.

Install a WP/TR GFCI receptacle with a wet location in-use style cover. Change the 2P-30 CB to a single pole 20, land the white conductor on the neutral bar.
Old 12/29/12, 7:03 PM
InterNACHI Member

You're stuck Mark ...you have to buy a new spa, that is all there is to it...You have the outlet ..You must have a spa...no exceptions....

Classic Home inspections

Jim Mckee
Amherst, Ohio

www.amhersthomeinspector.com

440 225 8688
Old 12/29/12, 7:37 PM
InterNACHI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Meier View Post
Change the 2P-30 CB to a single pole 20, land the white conductor on the neutral bar.
Or change the breaker out to a single-pole, GFCI type...

IF YOUR INSPECTOR IS NOT USING THERMAL IMAGING, YOU'RE NOT GETTING THE WHOLE PICTURE
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
Santa Clarita CA
(661) 212-0738
Santa Clarita Home Inspection
http://www.MyInspector.net

Old 12/29/12, 9:00 PM
InterNACHI Member

Just be very cautious when you connect solid #10 wire to a receptacle. It is very easy to accidentally place considerable stress on the receptacle body when installing it in the outlet box and damage the receptacle, whether it is a standard duplex or a GFCI.

If in doubt, install a properly sized box and make pigtails to the receptacle, ensuring that you use the appropriate size wire based on the new OCPD you install in the panel for this circuit.

Licensed Master Electrician, Kentucky #ME 6509
PHII Certified Inspector,#LMH30000017878
EPA Universal Certification Section 608, #0028673113930
Member, National Fire Protection Association

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe." Abraham Lincoln
Old 12/29/12, 10:26 PM
Active Poster

Please Note: Robert Meier is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpope View Post
Or change the breaker out to a single-pole, GFCI type...
Yes I agree that would work too, but then you would still need to find a listed weather-resistant receptacle.
Old 12/30/12, 5:52 PM
InterNACHI Member

That is what I was wondering about William. The large size wire to a 110 GFCI outlet..

"Be Proud of Your Home, Go With Pride!"
'Not just a Home Inspection, but an Education'

Pride Property Inspections provides professional Home Inspections throughout Tucson and Southern Arizona including Pima, Cochise, Pinal, Santa Cruz, Graham counties.

Old 12/30/12, 6:17 PM
Active Poster

A standard 15 or 20 amp, 120 volt GFCI receptacle will accept #10 conductors. You cold always tail off with smaller conductors based on the size of the OCPD.
Old 12/30/12, 7:35 PM
InterNACHI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Meier View Post
A standard 15 or 20 amp, 120 volt GFCI receptacle will accept #10 conductors. You cold always tail off with smaller conductors based on the size of the OCPD.
Yes, they are indeed rated for #10, but I am certain you are like I and have seen a fair amount of broken receptacles when installers forced the device back into the wall.

It is very difficult for most individuals who have not installed many devices to land #10 solid and get it back into the box with the correct amount of minimum conductor length.

Licensed Master Electrician, Kentucky #ME 6509
PHII Certified Inspector,#LMH30000017878
EPA Universal Certification Section 608, #0028673113930
Member, National Fire Protection Association

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe." Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by wblackmon; 12/30/12 at 7:57 PM..