NEC vs Local Code

Student here: If you see something that is a violation of NEC but local electrical code did not require it at the time of construction, how would you address the defect? For example, GFCIs in garage.

For safety and electrical issues, today’s standard is my baseline and goes in the Summary report. With one exception: I don’t call out the lack of AFCIs as a defect.

Being that it is a potential safety hazard and not up to current standards, you could recommend it as a safety upgrade. No need to mention code. :slight_smile:

We are not code inspectors. Generalist.
I recommend GFCI in appropriate areas for safety.

Get used to “Grandfathering”.

The NEC is merely a guideline, jurisdictions are free to adopt all, some or none of it. The adopted local code is all that matters from compliance standpoint.

That goes for any model code. It isn’t applicable if the jurisdiction hasn’t adopted it. :wink:

I guess (as a student) I’m a little confused… do we inspect to local code? To NACHI SOP? To NEC? Do we avoid mentioning code altogether and just advise on proper safety as we see it?

The code informs you.

You are not a code inspector.

Report what you see and make recommendations.

Citing code will only get you in trouble.

You have no authority to enforce anything.

Inform your client without citing code and let them decide.

Agree with above. Citing codes will get you in trouble. Not sure how others feel about this but you can recommend in you report to check local codes and to see if proper permits were pulled when you think you need to.

When it comes down to code or safety, I always go with safety. GFCIs in a garage are a safety issue and I recommend having them installed.

I have a generic information tab in each report that explains current codes, past codes and grandfathering. Give your clients the information based on the latest model codes, regardless of whether your local jurisdiction has adopted them or not. Sorry but no governmental buffoon is going to make the decision on my reports. It can take years and years for modern codes to wind their way through the political and lazy representatives charged with adoption. And then the local buddy buddy inspector may decide on his own to ignore state, county or city standards.

Inform and let the client decide.

:shock::shock::shock: You really think so :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen: Hahaha Have a great 4th