No disconnect on equipment service panel

Inspected house built in 2000 today. The service equipment panel inside didn’t have a OCPD on the Siemens 200 amp panel. The main service entry cable was connected to a 200 amp breaker outside which was about 20 ft to panel inside (more than 5 ft. rule) SHOULD the equipment panel inside have a main breaker. Answer YES correct? Hope I’m wording this correctly.

Your wording was a little confusing to me, but it sounds like The panel inside is a remote distribution panel. It does not require a main shut off. The building only needs one.

Notice how the panel inside has had the bonding bar removed and the bus for the grounding conductors is bonded to the panel, while the neutrals are “floating”

Also. The 5ft rule which is “as close as practical” here in VA is for the SE cable-not feeder cables.

Thank You… like a Sub-Panel

Yes…

A remote distribution panel is a sub panel.

That’s because it is not the service panel.

THAT is your service panel.

The 20 feet is inconsequential. As long as it’s in/on the same structure, it does not require its own disconnect.

Thank you

Where does the GEC terminate? I see a single black conductor entering the top left of the panel enclosure but no conductor entrance into the service disconnecting means. Also just wondering how does it transition from the raceway out of the disconnecting means to SER cable?

Most certainly a remote distribution panel and not the service equipment. As stated that is on the outside of the building. Also as Robert stated it does appear the GEC is in the wrong location (unless that larger black conductor is bonding something and not the GEC) but i don’t see a GEC at the service disconnect so thats important info to determine . Due to the date of installation the 1999 NEC was probably being used so keep that in mind…the bushing is an added bonus but not required…at least they tried to show some neatness so you gotta like that.

PS…ironically the 2014 NEC (250.121) is going to allow the connection to the grounding electrode from a remote distribution panel instead of the service location provided the feeder between the service panel and remote panel has a properly sized EGC (of the wire type) to serve both functions…quite interesting to listen to the supporters of this change…currently in the 2011 NEC that practice is prohibited.