No service disconnect on generator install ?

Hi guys,
Quick question regarding service disconnects. I have tried to search for more info on the forum before posting.

I could not locate a service disconnect.

I little background, a standby generator (Cummins Onan) was installed in 2007, service drop goes directly from meter into the generator transfer panel, then to the “main” panel. It is over the 6 step rule, no other (sub)panels. Any help/advise would be greatly appreciated.

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z275/brighton_sti/SAM_0870_zpseef58927.jpg

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z275/brighton_sti/SAM_0867_zpsa891e31e.jpg

The “transfer panel” likely includes the service disconnect for the building/structure (transfer switch with service disconnect), which means, the panel you’re referring to as the “main,” would now be a sub panel.

Great, Thanks Jeff. I was hoping you would respond. Thanks for always willing to help out.

Happy to help…

I see no service disconnect in the photo’s. What’s on the outside of the structure?

Robert - the ones I’ve seen similar to this have an electronically operated, solenoid type switching mechanism for transfer and/or service disconnect. Although, I can’t say for sure this is the same type.

Interesting…Considering if the Service Disconnection Means is located in that transfer switch enclosure…and the panel on the wall is indeed a Remote Distribution Panel…(ignoring the NEC 2014 revelation of 250.121)…it appears the GEC is in the wrong enclosure.

Or what ever that is to the left of the RDP…Which I wont begin to speculate other than what I stated as my assumption.

From the photo I would guess that this is a transfer switch and not the service disconnect. The SE cable feeding the transfer switch is SER which contains four conductors. If this were actually the service disconnect you would only need SEU or three conductors. Also it’s location would in many jurisdictions violate 230.70(A)(1) because it is not nearest the entrance of the SEC into the building and unless the service disconnect were remotely operable the removal of the cover to access the disconnect would also be a violation since it would not be readily accessible.

Did you open the ATS? If the ATS has a breaker, and its states on the labels its “service rated” then its ok. If the breaker is on the outside then its ok. When the breakers on the outside the feeder should then become a 4 wire feeder since you always separate the ground and neutral after the first disconnect.

The panel looks ok with a 4 wire feed and neutral isolated from box.

However, being honest, I could be wrong but from that picture it looks like the ATS is fed with 3 conductor SEU, and it does not look service rated.

You need a main breaker from the utility either on the outside or in the ATS. Without one its not compliant and if something went wrong you have no way of cutting power or tripping a breaker is the ATS shorted out. Both are a real hazard.

Where is the third set of conductors for the transfer switch? There should be Gen, Utility and Load connections.