Non grounded GFCI receptacle

Does the NEC allow non-grounded GFCI? As long as it is labeled “non grounded”?

I believe so. Also Nachi says it’s ok.

Non-grounded GFI’s are fine. One side note; the three light tester will not trip them.

Interesting. Didn’t know that about the three light tester. I was calling these out as defective. I guess I will need to test them with the receptacle’s Test button also from now on. Does the Sure Test tester trip them?

I don’t believe there is a requirement or need need to label “non-grounded”.

Nongrounding-Type Receptacles

406.3(D)(3) Nongrounding-Type Receptacles. Where grounding means does not exist in the receptacle enclosure, the installation shall comply with (a), (b), or (c).

(a)A nongrounding-type receptacle(s) shall be permitted to be replaced with another nongrounding-type receptacle(s).

(b)A nongrounding-type receptacle(s) shall be permitted to be replaced with a ground-fault circuit interrupter-type of receptacle(s). These receptacles shall be marked “No Equipment Ground.” An equipment grounding conductor shall not be connected from the ground-fault circuit-interrupter-type receptacle to any outlet supplied from the ground-fault circuit-interrupter receptacle.

(c)A nongrounding-type receptacle(s) shall be permitted to be replaced with a grounding-type receptacle(s) where supplied through a ground-fault circuit interrupter. Grounding-type receptacles supplied through the ground-fault circuit interrupter shall be marked “GFCI Protected” and “No Equipment Ground.” An equipment grounding conductor shall not be connected between the grounding-type receptacles.

I stand corrected.

Yes, if you have the ground-continuity adapter.

gca.jpg