Outlet behind cooktop

All common sense tells me this is just wrong. Wires draping over hot cooktop screams “fire”!! :twisted:

Can someone give me a code reference on this?

Picture 04345678.jpg

This might answer your question.

**Kitchen Counter Receptacle Layout
Kitchen Counter Receptacle Outlets
**Creative kitchen designs are requiring installers to use ingenuity in complying with the National Electrical Code
requirements for counter top receptacles. Counters are no longer simple food preparation areas; multiple use and
appearance are important factors in design that have led to a need for clarification on several issues. Building Safety’s
position on these issues is noted following the National Electrical Code text.
210.52(C)(1) Wall Counter Spaces. A receptacle outlet shall be installed at each wall counter space that is 12 inches
(300 mm) or wider. Receptacle outlets shall be installed so that no point along the wall line is more than 24 inches (600
mm) measured horizontally from a receptacle outlet in that space.
*Counters that are attached to “stub” or “pony walls” that extend above the countertop shall have the number receptacles
installed as required by this section.
*210.52©(2) **Island Counter Spaces. **At least one receptacle outlet shall be installed at each island counter space with
a long dimension of 24 inches (600 mm) or greater and a short dimension of 12 inches (300 mm) or greater. *Where a
range top or sink is installed in an island or peninsular counter and the width of a counter behind the range top or sink is
less than 12 inches, the range top or sink is considered to divide the island into two separate spaces as defined in
210.52©(4). .
An island counter is a counter supported only by cabinetry which is not attached to a wall.
*210-52©(3) Peninsular Counter Spaces. At least one receptacle outlet shall be installed at each peninsular counter
space with a long dimension of 24 inches (600 mm) or greater and a short dimension of 12 inches (300 mm) or greater. A
peninsular countertop is measured from the connecting edge.
*A peninsular counter is a counter supported only by cabinetry which is connected to a wall or other cabinet at one end.
*210©(4) Separate Spaces. Countertop spaces separated by range tops, refrigerators, or sinks shall be considered as
separate countertop spaces in applying the requirements of 210.52© (2).
*See proposed wording as noted under island counter spaces.
*210.52© 5) Receptacle Outlet Location. Receptacle outlets shall be located above, but not more than 20 inches (500
mm above), the countertop. Receptacle outlets rendered not readily accessible by appliances fastened in place, appliance
garages, or appliances occupying dedicated space shall not be considered as these required outlets.
Exception: To comply with the conditions specified in (1) or (2), receptacle outlets shall be permitted to be mounted not
more than 12 inches (300 mm) below the countertop. Receptacles mounted below a countertop in accordance with this
exception shall not be located where the countertop extends more than 6 inches (150 mm) beyond its support base.
(1) Construction for the physically impaired.
(2) On island and peninsular countertops where the countertop is flat across its entire surface (no backsplashes,
dividers, etc.) and there are no means to mount a receptacle within 20 inches (500 mm) above the countertop, such
as an overhead cabinet.
*Receptacles can be located below the countertop level only when the conditions noted by the 210.52©(5) exceptions are
met.
*Handout E.06
Page 2 of 2
*Receptacle outlets are required behind sinks and ranges if the counter space behind the sink or range along a wall is
greater then 12 inches wide or greater then 18 inches from the deepest part of the corner mounted sink or range.
For more detail see figure 210.52 of the 2005 N.E.C.
***Countertop desk areas
***Countertop desk areas in the kitchen areas are part of the counter and are supplied by a countertop circuit and are GFCI
protected

No. There isn’t one Not a very smart instalation but not against code

I agree. Not smart, but no violation here.
I suspect either a miscalculation by the installer, or a slight change in layout causing this ~6" “mistake”.
*Edit - More like a 3" mistake.

The biggest problem I see , is lack of a rangehood.
Bet those cabinets get nice and greasy,yum.

Just do not get me started on what I think about GE products , or surfaces such as that future scratch job.

Looks to me like in a short time it will be code red for Oh Sxxt get the fire hose. LOL

Looks like a Microwave mounted above, with built in exhaust venting. I’m curious if it exhausts back into the room, (common) or actually has a vent to the outside.

Oh, what the heck…:stuck_out_tongue:
Do we have a problem with GE cooktops, Bob??? :wink:

First of all Jeff, good catch, since you cannot tell from the picture ,but can guess from the inset.

If it is ventless they need a charcoal filter .

I do not like GE because of all the recalls they have had over the years.

Having spent six years installing the cheap &**^%#@*$#& going under that brand name…
Put it this way,that they use thin gauge metal and have price of materials down to a science.
I was head Installer for a Sears.Saw enough product to know the difference.

A little info

While not a violation in itself…because of a possible placement issue it may make the requirements of 210.52© a bit messed up for the installer. If the spacing was off and they were counting on a receptacle behind the cooktop to be counted in the "counter wall space " requirement…they would be sadly mistaken.

**(1) Wall Counter Spaces. **A receptacle outlet shall be installed
at each wall counter space that is 300 mm (12 in.) or
wider. Receptacle outlets shall be installed so that no point
along the wall line is more than 600 mm (24 in.) measured
horizontally from a receptacle outlet in that space.

*Exception: Receptacle outlets shall not be required on a
wall directly behind a range or sink in the installation described
in Figure 210.52.

If you want to know the truth…I failed a guy the other day because his spacing on the counter left one receptacle more than 24 inches from the sink…it was 28 inches…I failed him because he could have put it at 24 inches and choose not to do so…so I made him do it…:wink:

Thanks Paul.
Outlet not bad/outlet not good/Outlet no reason for being.

Brian , where do you get the two week figure.
Your not at McDonalds any more.
Under normal (stress normal) it should last several months.
In most Condos it is not possible to vent.If there is no charcoal filter I call it out everytime, if ventless.

Most people prefer not to have grease all over the walls.

Good info, Mario!
I copy stuff like this into Notepad, save them, print them to read in the truck. :cool:

John Kogel
www.allsafehome.ca