Overloaded circuit

Had an inspection on a smaller (900 sq ft) house, 1 car garage. The electric panel was older with no main breaker, just individual breakers, it was a 150 amp panel, nothing labeled. There were some double taps found at time of inspection but all wiring seemed sized proper and no issues showing overheating or overdraw at time of inspection. There was 18 breakers in the panel.
Got a call from the buyer today, apparently the kitchen wiring (3 outlets, 1 light, and microwave) is on 1 circuit (sans the range) and when she had the lights, a toaster oven on, blender running, and turned the microwave on, it tripped the breaker. Electrician came out and tested the draw on it using an ammeter and obviously found the issue, but at time of inspection I had the lights on and tested everything and nothing tripped, which would have clued me into the issue. She now wants me to pay for running wiring to the kitchen, which I don’t want to do as other than noting that there was nothing labeled, how can you really know? I did mention on the report that each circuit needs proper labeling, and the sellers electrician repaired the double tapped breakers situation before closing. Has anyone run into this situation before and should my verbiage for labeling the panel in unlabeled situations now be amended to state that “could not confirm adequate number of circuits for home”, or does the SOP statement that we are not required to determine size, capacity, adequacy of a system protect me. Adding everything up today, 18 seems about right for the number of rooms/appliances in the small house. Is this just an unfortunate situation of circumstance that I was not able to catch this?

Glenn, I am not an inspector, but even if the circuits were properly labeled there would still be nothing to prevent the HO from using too many appliances at the same time and tripping the breaker. The toaster oven alone was probably 1000 -1500 watts, add in the 600+watt microwave and the circuit is overloaded. The HO needs to learn how to properly utilize what has been installed. The same thing could happen on a brand new house properly wired to code.

The lighting would not be allowed on the 20 amp small appliance branch circuits, but this house may pre-date that requirement. I do not know when that when into effect.

We are not responsible for load calculations.

How did you determine the 150 amp capacity?

It is not your job to “catch” the wiring layout of the home or determine the number or adequacy of the outlets in the kitchen.

The microwave, toaster oven and blender are all appliances whose usage is determined by the client and out of your control or liability, especially if she chooses to run them all at once.

Don’t pay a dime.