Question about exposed NM

Would you write up exposed Non-Metallic sheathed wire in a utility room that does not have wall covering, just studs?

not on this alone.

if it was properly installed, just no wall covering, no issue to me.

all comes down to whether it’s subject to possible damage…IMO

If the wire was not in danger of becoming in contact or easily damaged by an object I would not weight it up.

Thank you.

Varies by jurisdiction. Here in California for example, San Diego County allows it exposed inside the studs and or above the upper framing plate. In Orange County it must be protected by finished drywall, plaster, conduit, etc…

I do throw in a comment but don’t put too much emphasis. In Wisconsin it all depends on the municipality also. Most make you cover horizontal runs through studs but occasionally let a neatly stapled vertical run pass without covering or conduit. I have seen many damaged wires in storage areas in finished basements where left exposed. In garages I have seen the wires pulled out of adjacent boxes due to stuffing wood or hanging tools on or behind horizontal runs. We can only recommend not enforce. I can think of numerous times when I have pointed this out in one area to a buyer and could here the realtor rolling their eyes only to go into another and show them where wires were pulled out or damaged in this manor. Some codes seem to be protecting us form the one in a million event, others just reinforce common sense…don’t use your wiring as clothes hangers in the basement laundry!!!

1.  Exposed Nm or Romex type wiring needs protection. The wires in the garage and basement should be covered to protect from physical damage. This code requirement is not retroactive but I often find homeowners using the wire to hang or secure storage items like garden tools. Conduit is the preferred method but plywood or drywall panels are often used to cover the wall stud cavities where wires exist.

When I was in Maryland it was normal practice to staple exposed RX to running boards in garages and utility rooms (not even in a stud bay).
In Florida they want it in conduit up to the ceiling. Back in the 80s that even included furred walls against block if it wasn’t 1.25" back. Now they accept stackers setting it 1.25 to the side of a furring strip. I dissagree but I am just a voice in the dark.