Questions on how to size the service

I was wondering if to size the service I know it is the amperage rating of the smallest component in line rather that be a conductor or a breaker/fuse my question lies in, is that after the meter including the meter or is it the service drop to the house before the meter as-well? The picture below shows that the drop from the transformer to the house is a smaller gauge than the conductors going into the weather head. Would you say that since these are smaller that would be the limit of the service size if it is the smallest component? Just asking for general knowledge not in relation to anything. :slight_smile:

Thanks Taylor

From the pole to the weather head is up to the POCO and being that it is in open air to cool the conductors, they can be smaller than if they were covered or encased.
Typically, the smallest component of meter, SEC, panel board and Service disconnect breaker are the deciding factors…as I recall…there may be one other component, but I can’t think of it just now. Someone will be along to help further. :slight_smile:

The conductors ahead of the weather head are under the control of the power company and are not sized using the NEC.

Great thanks for all of the information it helps a bunch. I try to learn something new every day.

Your concern would be from the service point on. That’s the point where the premise wiring connects to the utility wiring. Here’s the definitions from the NEC:

My electrician guy points out you can check the conduit size of the mast, eg 100 Amp requires 1 1/4" conduit and so on, the box the meter is mounted on, the size of the cable going into the mast, the panels, all are rated for maximum amperage allowed usually with a label. Everything should be no more than the main breaker size. Having an electrical reference book is a big help.

In my area the mast size is based on the length of the triplex and is a minimum of 2" regardless of service size.