What are the reasons for required clearance around electrical panels?

Various NEC codes and OSHA regulations require that areas around electrical panels be kept clear at all times. (Typically 3 feet deep, 30 inches wide, floor to ceiling).

I’m wondering what the reasons are for these requirements.

I see this particular issue very often, and it’s an easy one for someone to correct for an inspection, but then put the pile of stuff right back where it was. So it would be helpful to have a list of very good reasons to explain to people of why panels should be kept clear.

Tried searching google and this forum, but no luck so far. If there’s a general resource that you all like for learning the reasons behind codes, that’d be great to know about also.

Thanks!

1 Like

For the home inspector to have enough room to remove the cover…:wink:

So that anyone working at the panel can do do safely and without obstruction…

3 Likes

Easy access for service work, easy access in case of an emergency requiring electrical be turned off, keep combustibles away from ignition source.

1 Like

Working clearance is referring to permanent, or fixed, items. Not things you can move without dismantling like storage boxes.

3 Likes

The fire codes also require clear space and no storage for the same reasons already given. Easy access to shutoff, clear workspace etc.

2 Likes

If you are doing inspections and do not know the answer, go back to HI school, or take every InterNACHI inspection course.

2 Likes

According to the NEC the minimum working space is 30" wide, minimum 36" deep and 6’6" or the height of the equipment whichever is greater. Here’s the NEC wording regarding working space from Article 110:

1 Like

What are some common emergencies that require the electrical to be quickly turned off? Sparks coming out of a receptacle (or anywhere)… Various other electrical shock hazard scenarios, missing/disconnected ground…

Does the fire department try to cut the power from the main panel when they’re fighting a fire?

I’m just looking for compelling reasons that people will understand. If there aren’t any compelling reasons, maybe it’s not a big deal to pile non-flammable things in front of a panel. People just get used to utilizing the space, and there isn’t any problem for decades, so it’s hard to convince them that it’s not bureaucratic over-cautiousness.

People forget “it is all about us”.

Its pretty common to have to turn a breaker back on if it trips. Getting hurt in the dark by tripping over all kinds of obstacles infront of the panel is a real possibility.

Electrical panels and junction boxed for various reasons may at some point arc,… these sparks can cause fires and its far more likely to happen when there is flammable material near by ready to catch one.

Having room to work should not be undervalued. Most accidents happen when pros or weekend warriors are working in awkward positions or a less than ideal stance. I hate seeing workers lean or stretch, especially when working with electricity. One slip in the wrong direction…

1 Like

Workplace info, but the same rule applies to homes IMO. :slight_smile:

no need to have a compelling reason & we’re not the property popo
i report they decide
when electrical equipment happens to be blocked during an inspection i contact the agent(s) & put them on notice of my rein$pection fee$

this gets me lots of agent referral gigs & puts me on their xmas card list…ymmv

First off - great question! …and I would ignore those who have displayed their hubris.

There are numerous answers to this question, fire response procedures could be one of those as most department procedures will require cutting electricity to the structure, and this may include shutting off the main at the breaker upon arrival until the assessment has determined whether an external utility shutoff is required. Beyond that, probably the most compelling reason for a homeowner, in my opinion, would be more about potentially saving their property with minimal personal risk should an electrical safety event take place.

In the event that signs of an impending electrical fire are detected, such as smoke detectors going off or the smell/odor of smoke being detected by an occupant (who may not necessarily be the homeowner), sparking or arcing from an outlet, etc., clear and unobstructed access to the electrical panel to shut off the electricity within the home or affected area by the occupant (not necessarily the homeowner), would reduce danger to the occupant in a panic situation. While AFCIs should do this for you if the electrical system is so equipped, they are not foolproof and may fail as well. If the occupant has to fight through debris, obstacles, or other impediments to shut off the power (maybe the breaker has failed and isn’t tripping and/or the arc-fault detector has also failed), precious time may be lost, the occupant may be injured by the obstructions, or any number of other related consequences may occur, not the least of which might be that an actual fire breaks out and destroys all or part of the dwelling… all because an occupant, who detected a problem and attempted to respond, could not safely or in a timely manner, access the panel to remove current from the defect to prevent the potential fire.

Safety.
———-

You have to be safe while working in the panel, but also there has to be room for someone to be rescued as well if they are being electrocuted.

2 Likes

That’s what the rule says.

But I prefer the older approach which allowed panels in closets. Right now the code specifically prohibits placement in a clothes closet, but here’s why I prefer that location. In a code legal spot people want to put book cases, file cabinets, etc. In a closet it may be packed, but the stuff is readily moved out of the way.

In the code legal spot the workspace is to remain clear 24/7. I know it doesn’t always happen. I don’t think closets would be any better. I remember one inspector that said cars could not be parked in the garage if they impinged on the space.

The NEC specifically prohibits the overcurrent protection devices in the vicinity of easily ignitable material clothes closets is just one example of what they classify as being in that vicinity. IMO garages can be loaded with materials that are more easily ignitable (what ever that means) but no one seems to care about that. If you want to pick a location that will ensure that no one piles a bunch if crap in front of a panel put it behind a door.

4 Likes

Interesting. I remember a conversation about a minimum height requirement for panels, was that ever verified? First thing that comes to mind is flammable vapors in the garage. Vapors stay low hence the 18" minimum height requirement for water heaters that are not Flammable Vapor Ignition Resistant (FVIR).