Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > Specific Inspection Topics > Electrical Inspections

Notices

Electrical Inspections Contains discussions about electrical systems. This includes receptacles, panels, wiring, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 4/28/08, 10:04 PM
InterNACHI Member

Default Reverse polarity

During a recent inspection, my electrical tests revealed several electriical outlets with revese polarity. How serious is this and what kind of problems could ths cause?
Old 4/28/08, 10:38 PM
InterNACHI Member

Please Note: wsutton is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.
Default Re: Reverse polarity

David, I always report this as an Issue with the electrical system and recommend a licensed electrician properly rewire these outlet(s). Under certain circumstances it could present a shock hazard, so it could be very serious !
Old 4/29/08, 8:54 AM
InterNACHI Member

William

Thanks for the info- I'll pass it along

David
Old 4/29/08, 9:50 AM
InterNACHI Member

Thought I would add this;

Hot / Neutral reversal, called reverse polarity, is probably the most common error you're going to encounter. While few (if any) electrical devices care much whether the current runs left to right or right to left, almost every electrical plug made in the past few decades is polarized for safety's sake. They can only be plugged into (modern) outlets in one orientation, which is designed to ensure that if there are any electrical shorts in the device, exposed metal parts don't carry the current. Wall sockets that have reversed polarity are considered an electrical shock hazard, which is why they're noted on pre-purchase house inspections. Fortunately, the condition's fairly easy to fix: all you have to do is reverse the black and white wires.

Marcel

Old 4/29/08, 9:57 AM
New User

Please Note: gmortensen is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.

Think of a simple lamp. Instead of the button at the bottom of the socket being live the metal sides are live.
Old 5/9/08, 8:35 PM
New User

Please Note: Wild Leg is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.

A modern gas furnace will not function with reverse polarity. I haven't seen anything else that cares, but I am sure there are some other appliances. Regardless, it is still a hazard and should be repaired.
Old 5/9/08, 8:45 PM
InterNACHI Member

Most lap-top/notebook...have polarity protection but may blow an internal fuse when used on a reversed polarity receptacle

BEST to check the receptacle before plugging in your equipment on-site...you never know...

badair

ADAIR INSPECTION
972-487-5634

Commercial-Residential-Construction-EIFS-Infrared Thermography
TREC # 4563
EDI: EIFS-MA TX # 39

2008 US Member of the Year
National Association of Commercial Building Inspectors & Thermographers™ Member ID 12011-14TX

life is the random lottery of events followed by numerous narrow escapes, accept the good
Old 5/9/08, 8:47 PM
InterNACHI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsutton
David, I always report this as an Issue with the electrical system and recommend a licensed electrician properly rewire these outlet(s). Under certain circumstances it could present a shock hazard, so it could be very serious !
Same here. I ran into this same situation with my last two inspections, one a trashed foreclosure and the 2nd a very nice home. Reported both and recommended a lic electrician.

Robert Newland, CMI
Tyrone, GA 30290
NACHI05101290

http://www.CertifiedHI.com
http://www.HomeInspectorTyroneGa.com

Home Inspection Reports Powered by:
HomeGauge eServices

Old 5/9/08, 9:24 PM
InterNACHI Member

Most lap-top/notebook...have polarity protection

Didn't think this was an issue since it goes through a transformer first anyway.
Old 5/9/08, 10:08 PM
InterNACHI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddunning
During a recent inspection, my electrical tests revealed several electriical outlets with revese polarity. How serious is this and what kind of problems could ths cause?
Reversed polarity can be dangerous because many appliances will operate properly even though the supply wires are not connected in the proper order. Traditional reversed polarity occurs when the black (ungrounded) and white (grounded) conductors are reversed. A shock hazard may not exist, but other mechanical hazards can occur. If an internal fault should occur in the wiring, the equipment would not turn off when the switch is released or would start as soon as the supply cord is plugged into the improperly wired outlet. This could result in very serious injury.

"not just an inspection, but an education"

www.homesweethomecincinnati.com

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb. B. Franklin