Shower Fixture Lamps

The electrical fixture is located in a shower in an area recessed high above the water supply and does not appear it can get wet. The label on the fixture says it is okay for damp locations. I have no problem with that. The label also says to use only “outdoor” lamps. I have no problem with that. My question is are lamps to be protected in case they break in the shower area? Most fixtures I’ve seen have a lens. What is the purpose of the lens? To prevent moisture? to protect the bulb? both? or other? Thoughts please.

Others will follow but that is not suitable and needs to be wet rated not damp rated.
Unless outside the tub or over 8 feet up from bottom of tub.

The fixture was fairly high from inside the shower. I didn’t measure it but it was more than 8 feet from where I was standing inside the shower. What do you think about the lamps?

First you need to determine what the location is that the fixture is in. If ‘s damp then it’s fine. If it’s wet then it needs the proper lamps. Unless this is a fixture of the type listed in 410.10(D) then it’s not required to be 8’ about the tub or shower rim.

See:

Great info guys. What about my question about whether or not the lamp needs to be covered (protected) or not. Can the bulb be exposed?

In general the answer is you need a shade as those bulbs get hot and hot glass splashed with cold water would cause immediate fracture however there are always exceptions.
http://www.lampsplus.com/products/Lightolier-4-inch-Low-Voltage-Contour-Wet-Location-Recessed-Trim__68393.html

Gasket included for shower applications.
Takes one 50 watt MR16 bulb (not included).
Low voltage creates less heat.

Re: Light fixtures in showers
(A) Wet and Damp Locations. Luminaires installed in wet or damp locations shall be installed such that water cannot enter or accumulate in wiring compartments, lampholders, or other electrical parts. All luminaires installed in wet locations shall be marked, “Suitable for Wet Locations.”

410.4(D)…Luminaires located in bathtub and shower zone must be listed for damp locations, or listed for wet locations where subject to shower spray.

So with above information if the lumunaires is listed, cover or not, it’s permissible.

Open Alzak Anti-Iridescent trim. UL & CUL listed for damp locations.

As Christopher pointed out the lamp type is based on the fixture and what lamp is needed to obtain the listing as either suitable for a damp or wet location.

A simple work flow would be to:

Determine if the fixture is a type permitted in the specific location. {410.10(D)}
Determine whether the location is damp or wet. {Article 100 Definitions}
Determine if the fixture is listed for the location in which it’s installed. {110.3(B)}

Nice Robert, easy as 1, 2, 3.

All cans are rated for damp.
Question was about the bulbs.
They are specialty and have a gasket O ring attached.
Simple is look inside the fixture housing by pulling out the ring and checking for wet rated.

Right, and the* bulb* is not required to have a cover if the fixture meets the requirements for it’s location.

410.4(D)…Luminaires located in bathtub and shower zone must be listed for damp locations, or listed for wet locations where subject to shower spray.

One other thing to note is that this fixture might be out of the tub and shower zone so 410.4(D) wouldn’t even apply. John said that it was more than 8’ above the shower.

Fixture was definitely out of the “shower zone” as defined in other posts. Was not going to be directly exposed to water, although it could be exposed to moisture or dampness when taking a shower. That said, based on everything posted here I think the installation is fine so long as the proper lamps are used Thanks for all the input guys.

Yes any fixture is fine however if they are using bulbs like incandescents there can be issues unless the pull out ring is coated metal.
Check inside if not sure as once the bulb is removed you can read bulb types allowed.
Many cans use a plastic outer ring that melts if wrong non par spot bulb is used.
I have seen it happen.