I slightly dread posting this...

…after the whole “outlet in a closet” saga. Found this below a bathroom sink. Just the fact that the box was open to the underside of the cabinet due to the hole in the wall gave me pause.

Would this be considered at all hazardous?
Should the receptacle:slight_smile: be changed to a GFCI?
Should the hole just be closed up?

Should I just go have a beer and forget about it?

Beer.

What were the two wires going to?

I see no “hazard” with regard to the receptacle. GFCI protection is certainly not required and would not be warranted as an “upgrade.”

My concern would be with the wires. What are they for and are they 120V. Removing the wires and covering the hole is all that should be necessary.

They went through another hole and off to a couple of phone jacks in an attached room and a second floor. This was an addition to the house and half of the work was professional and half was DIY.

Low voltage wiring does not require protection from contact.

I see no problem beyond the unsightly hole in the wall.

Oh and the tail piece on the sink drain is about to leak. :wink:

Looks like K&T at receptacle?

Only issue I see is someone (kid) sticking their hand through the hole either accidentally, or when reaching for something in cabinet.

Or maybe he is going to iron under there cause there was no receptacle in the closet

… :mrgreen:

OMG DANGER DANGER Will Robertson ahhhhh just kidding;-)

IMHO, electric and water should not be sharing the same space. If I am not mistaken, there is something in the electric or mechanical code that states there is a minimum distance between electric and other utilities.

I agree. NM cable is permitted to be exposed when not subject to physical damage.

I don’t believe there is for this application.

That does not apply to this situation. In this picture the only concern and fix to this is to patch the darn hole and issue goes away.

Jim

My mistake, I thought it was a photo of a closet. :wink:

That’s the main question I had, if this box can be exposed to the underside of the sink cabinet.

There are electrical boxes under almost every kitchen sink in North America. Often tucked in between water sources. Non issue.

I agree…fix the hole.

Most utilities can share the same space. There are no separation requirements except for things like working space around equipment, communication lines clearances from service drops, etc.

Generally speaking, electrical components and plumbing components can be in direct contact with eachother.

Go have a beer. Better still, brandy!

Do we need to re define a cabinet and a closet?

Canadian or American version? :slight_smile:

Shouldn’t it be clouset ? :wink: