Spliced Messenger

This is the first time I have seen a messenger spliced in this manner. Looking for input from resident electrical experts.

Intuitively, this looks wrong. However, NEC article 396.30 states that the messenger can be spliced. Does the method of the splice appear OK?

The electrical connection looks OK to me, but the physical splice doesn’t look confidence inspiring from a load carrying (i.e., tension) capacity (second image).

Wouldn’t that fall on the utility company’s dime? And what is the connection at the house like?

Probably, but that doesn’t matter. If it affects the house / homeowner, I’ll report it (e.g., standing water in culverts, leaking water service, electrical service drop issues, etc.). I don’t care who is responsible for fixing it, whether it gets fixed or even if he SOP doesn’t say I have to report it. I only care that it’s information that is relevant to my client.

I see what’s going on here, but I don’t see the connection to the residence. Did you get a picture of that?

Splicing is perfectly acceptable, but the SEC should not be used to “anchor” the drop.

It’s not the utility company’s responsibility to provide a point of attachment, so this would fall squarely on the homeowner.

Yes, I agree, but since it is probably the utilities responsibility its the kind of recommendation I would almost automatically call out for them to review. They provide the messenger which seems to be in question.

I see no issue with the service neutral/messenger. I see an issue with the attachment, which is the responsibility of the homeowner.

In my opinion this is not a utility connection. Looking closely at what was posted I see the utility connection and is also see where someone other than the utility has used split bolts to make a connection.

In my opinion if the utility is contacted they would fix this mess and yes it needs to be fixed. This looks like a DIY job done by someone who has no idea of what they were doing.

You did the right thing in pointing this out in your report and should I be called to do an evaluation of the system I promise that would be in my report in bold lettering.

**Service drop needs immediate attention and appears to have been done by an unqualified person. This service has no “point of attachment” and is using the grounded conductor to support the entire weight of the service drop. This could prove to be disastrous in the event of ice or high wind. **

I’ve never heard of the home owner being responsible for the messenger length. (other than the utility charging for the change) Do you call an electrician to lengthen it?

I think that Jeffery meant the point of attachment. That’s typically installed by the electrician which would make it the responsibility of the homeowner not the utility.

Yes, that is what I’m trying to say…

Yes, I know he is referring to the attachment to the house, but who takes care of the messenger which is too short? Who splices that to the right length so the SEC neutral is not bearing the connection?

here is what I see

Around here the utility company (POCO) is responsible for the messenger. I had a squirrel eat half way through the bare aluminum neutral conductor and the POCO came out and spliced on a new piece.

So the POCO should be called in to lengthen the messenger and connect it to the house. And with any luck they might fix the splices(at least in Robert’s neighborhood). :wink:

They can’t do any worse than the last guy. :mrgreen:

Thanks for the replies guys.

This work was the result of someone installing a new panel and mast at the house. This was another flip and the buyer was told the roof was approximately 1 month old (see attached).

I did not photograph the attachment at the insulator as it was much better (relatively speaking) than the connection to the cable.

And without a doubt this change was never inspected. No permit and no inspection. The installer did the service tap. Notice I did not say electrician as a true qualified licensed electrician would never do anything like this and let me say if they did they would need to have their license revoked.