Splitting a 220 Volt Line

A previous client called this morning and asked me a question and I wanted inquire to everyone’s opinion. This is the emailed received after our phone conversation.

"So here’s what we would like to do. We have only 1 x 220V (12 x 2) line to the A/C. The panel is in the opposite end of the house from the A/C and Dryer. I’ve cut the line to supply the dryer as well. This was only temporary. Now we were wondering if I can legally put a DPDT or DPCO 220V switch in place? “I’m not sure if that is what the switch is that I need”

What I would like to achieve is: in the middle position, both units are powered off, in the left position the dryer only is powered on, in the right position the A/C only is powered on. Would this meet code? And if so, any idea where I can get one?"

Any thoughts on this situation. I personally recommended to run a new line on the exterior of the home in proper conduit and enter in the home beside the panel. Location is in Ontario, Canada.

Any information would be appreciated. Thanks

I doubt that dryers in Canada don’t require 30 amps, the same as in the US. As such the 12-2 is too small. Dryers in the US also require a 4 wire feeder which the AC line does not have.

IMO: The correct answer is to advise him to hire a qualified, licensed electrician to design and implement an appropriate solution.

His 12/2 theory is wrong and dangerous besides a dryer needs to be on a dedicated circuit.

As Chuck said: The correct answer is to advise him to hire a qualified, licensed electrician to design and implement an appropriate solution.