Tamper-Resistant Receptacles. New InterNACHI article.

http://www.nachi.org/tamper-resistant-receptacles.htm

I think this part is poorly worded.

*For safety reasons, the 2008 National Electrical Code now requires new and renovated homes to have TRRs. *

Only newly installed receptacles would be required to be TR, not the entire house.

I know the article is about TR but it ignores the AFCI requirement that is part of the NEC for new and replacement receptacles.

Hi, Jim –

Thanks for your comments. We’re researching your points and will revise the article accordingly afterward.

The picture of a tamper proof receptacle in your article is of a T-Slot (20 amps) receptacle which is only required in kitchen to the best of my knowledge.

This may confuse people as to regular (15 amps) receptacles being tamper proof.

On another note, how is one to test a tamper proof receptacle if split at kitchen counter top?

Marcel, here in the US T-slots are not required unless it is a simplex receptacle on a 20 amp circuit.

The NEC also does not have the same requirement for split wired receptacles for the SABC.

The exceptions listed in the article are from the 2011 NEC not the 2008 as the heading states.

Thanks, everyone, for your input. The main author of the article is working on additional research so that we can revise the article to address all of your points.

Thanks for taking the time to post your feedback.