UF and a plug?

I’m more concerned about the plug assembly and lack of GFCI than anything else. Comments?

UF 12-2 cable, going to unknown location.

As a special bonus, pic 3 is the masthead leading to the Zinsco panel. :cool:

Was their a garden pond? I’ve seen that a couple of times with the cable. I write it up as improper and tell my buyers to unplug until they get it fixed.

Sunlight and physical damage are concerns for UF cable. As for that plug at the end I don’t know if that is allowable. I was under the impression it was to be wired within a junction box only.

From my nice old NEC 1999

Uses permitted

1. Type UF cable shall be permitted for use underground, including direct burial in the earth, as feeder or branch-circuit cable where provided with overcurrent protection of the rated ampacity as required in Section 339-4

339-3
Uses Not permitted. Type UF cable shall not be used in the following:

1. Service-entrance cables
  1. Embedded in poured cement, concrete, or aggregate, except where embedded in plaster as nonheating leads as provided in Article 424

2. Where exposed to direct rays of the sun, unless identified as sunlight resistant

3. Where subject to physical damage

Need the pro’s to chime in…

No, it’s not.

Eve if it was allowed the plug or rather the receptacle would need the plastic cover.

Just figured I would explain the issue with Flexible Cord and NM or UF Cable. Neither NM Cable or UF Cable appear in the following statements. While NM Cable is kinda flexible but it is not in the table 400.4 describing flexible cords or cables.

**400.4 Types.
**Flexible cords and flexible cables shall conform
to the description in Table 400.4. Types of flexible
cords and flexible cables other than those listed in the table
shall be the subject of special investigation.

I am guessing most of the locations where you would apply an attachment plug to a cord and so on would demand it be flexible in nature…here is but one example when dealing with appliances.

**422.16 Flexible Cords.
(A) General. **Flexible cord shall be permitted (1) for the
connection of appliances to facilitate their frequent interchange
or to prevent the transmission of noise or vibration or
(2) to facilitate the removal or disconnection of appliances that
are fastened in place, where the fastening means and mechanical
connections are specifically designed to permit ready removal
for maintenance or repair and the appliance is intended
or identified for flexible cord connection.