Wires enclosed?

Shouldn’t the service drop from the masthead to the meter be enclosed?

Here it has to be protected however I had one AHJ get mad at me for calling him out on a Trailer it must have been a **bad day **for him. The service entrance round went right along the side of the trailer because they did not want to put the Electrical Panel in the bedroom.
He said it is protected and grabbed a near by branch and hit it.
Needless to say I reported him for his actions.
BTW it was less than 4 feet high along the side and had no marking what so ever for warnings.
If it is out of the reach of children I would just recommend added protection but not call anyone on this one.

Not necessarily. Is the assembly subject to damage?

Service Entrance Cable is a listed method of installing the service even if it is 6 inches above the ground.
There is no more danger to children using this method than if the conductors was encased in concrete.

It does not need any more protection than what is provided by the manufacturer of the Cable assembly.

This is the method of installation on most residential services in my area. It is the only installation method I have ever used on a dwelling.

Should individual conductors such as THW conductors be used then they would require some sort of raceway to be installed

The common sense answer would be no.
I just figured the utility company was responsible from the meter (up) in this case. You can see where the house had added newer siding and only had a couple clips to hold this wire to the structure. I would have thought the utility company after removing the meter, then re-attaching it would have tried to better protect their equipment.

I have only seen meters protected when installed near alleys or parking areas. The utility is not going to install straps on a cable that likely does not even belong to them and is a HO responsibility.

The cable as shown is missing the proper straps within 12" of the WH and then 30" thereafter.

I hope that you remember that physical damage is a subjective term and may not be defined under the CEC. As such it is up to the inspector to decide if additional protection is required. Just because he did not see it the same way you did was no call to report him.

I find it ironic that with electrical being your weak area that you had any cause to question an inspector that is most likely way more qualified than you to make this call. Perhaps if you understood electrical better you would not be so scared of what you do not understand.

It was his attitude that got him in s h i t with my Client!
I called them out not to say it was wrong but to make them aware of the change that was made.
I try to reason on everything and since this issue was clearly within reach of children all along the trailer my client wanted it checked.
I did not question the Electrician and had great respect for him but when his attitude was shown he had to be reported.
This goes for anyone that doesn’t keep his cool under any situation.
If he had a Bad Day he would have apologized to me and my Client.

Let me see if I understand this comment about children.
The nonmetallic cable is a danger but the metallic transformer that sits on a pad on the ground is not a danger to children. The cable is nonmetallic and will not conduct the 240 volts but the transformer that is sitting on the ground that a child could climb on top of that is metallic and will conduct the 7200 plus volts is not a danger.

How can this thinking be right? Doesn’t it seem like there is something flawed with this thought?

Exposed SEC here needs to be covered by PVC.
Where subject to **damage **unless protected in accordance to 230.50(A)

1. Rigid metal conduit
  2. Intermediate metal conduit
  3. Schedule 80 PVC
  4. Electrical metallic tubing
  5. Other approved means.

It’s interesting that you’re using an American reference to apply to Canada. Does Canada use the NEC?

The Canadian Electrical Code (from my limited research) does not allow for SE type cable for this application;

CEC 6-302 Overhead consumer’s service conductors
FONT=Arial,Arial Conductors of a consumer’s service that are connected to an overhead supply service at any point above
ground on a building or other structure shall be installed in one of the following ways:
(a) rigid conduit;
(b) busway;
(c) steel electrical metallic tubing;
(d) flexible metal conduit, with lead-sheathed conductors;
(e) mineral-insulated cable other than the lightweight type;
(f) aluminum-sheathed cable;
(g) Type ACWU75 or Type ACWU90 cable;
(h) Type AC90 cable; or
(i) Type TECK90 cable.
[/FONT]

This was not TECK 90 cable as it had no armor beside this was years ago and does not apply in this situation.
I gave the one that is generally accepted for North America. I hate the very fact that there is even a border Jeffrey.

Understood. My point is, even though you live and work in North America, you are in a different “country.” In which case, I would assume the NEC does not apply. Therefore, I am confused by the fact that you referenced the NEC when speaking of “you area” specifically.

Because it is the same all across North America. If it is not armored it must be protected.
No reason for minimum CODE to be mentioned but it is what it is.
If you want to get technical in Accordance with all North America new Safety standards and that includes Ontario.

That is incorrect.

1. It is not required to be protected in the U.S.
  2. It is not allowed to be used in Canada, therefore, there can be no requirement for protection.

While it is allowed, in my area(nowwhere near Canada :slight_smile: ) it is usually a VERY old installation and I usually find one of three things:

1. The outer sheathing is very deteriorated and sometimes even the braided neutral is damaged… or
  2. Metal siding has been installed and they cut the smallest hole possible and jambed the cut edge of the siding up against it. :roll:
  3. Similar to what Jim pointed out, the siding company will disconnect it and leave it hanging.

I find myself recommending repairs/upgrade very often. I agree with Jim, it really is a judgement call about recommending protection.