When you connect the old wiring to the new...

Be sure to false ground every circuit you can. :slight_smile:

What do f… Lol

Unbelievable what some people do. Good find.

The metal screws in the bottom are no good either.

Thanks for that Robert. This was in the ceiling and I’ve seen boxes like this before, but how are they supposed to be properly supported? They have no nailing flanges and no designated fastener holes that I see. Are the just supposed to connect to conduit?

What is wrong with screws, How would you mount the box???

Good question. The box is required to have it’s mounting means on the outside or a recess for the screw on the inside to prevent contact between the screws and the conductors.

Although I’m not suggesting this box as a replacement you can see that it has be designed for the purpose as mentioned in 314.43.

http://www.aifittings.com/products/images/products/F101-2.jpg

Learned something new, and it’s so early yet. Thank you.:smiley:

See it pays to be on the MB everyday.:smiley:

Interesting ??
If this was a metal box with out flanges would it be Ok then to mount this way.

Where could you use a box like the one shown ???

Cam did you open this box or was it opened already?

The reason behind this mounting requirement is the potential that the screws themselves could be energized should a ungrounded conductor short to the screw head. With a nonconductive enclosure, there is no ground fault path that would cause the OCPD to open.

Good eyes Robert!

I opened it. (yes I “bend the rules” at times.:slight_smile: )

Several other issues in the home’s wiring made me a bit suspicious of who actually did the wiring. It was clearly a non-professional once this cover came off.

Gotcha. I was just curious. I have never opened a junction box. Perhaps I need to step up my game. Thanks Cam

I wonder as a home Inspector where do you stop.
Do you open some boxes and not others .
Do you feel you are qualified to make that decesion.
Does your SOP say you can open some boxes?

Nothing infuriates me more than a post like this. I am just not going to respond because at this point, it wouldn’t be very nice. Ill respond later.

Sorry but I as a retired electrician I did not go around opening boxes .
I also did not move china cabinets.
I just want you and others to think is it a good idea for Home Inspectors to be opening boxes .
The choice is yours ,I do hope you have the correct answers if you ever get in Court.

Roy, do you take the cover off of the service panel; and the distribution panels?

Actually, I agree with Roy. I do not open junction boxes at 99% of my inspections. But this was a 10" x 10" box above the main panel in a home with many red flags in the electrical system. I definitely take on liability if I open one junction box, because I’m not opening all of them. You could argue though that if no problems were found and no pictures were taken it would be nearly impossible to prove whether or not an inspector did open junction boxes or not.

I personally don’t get too uptight about these things because the reality is even opening the cover of an electrical panel goes beyond our SOP. It isn’t common that I would do something like this, but there were enough other indicators which made me make the judgment call. I would not encourage new inspectors, or for that matter any inspector, to open junction boxes, light switches or outlet covers willy-nilly. Do the visual inspection to the SOP and then use your judgment about how much deeper you would choose to go, if at all.

All legitimate questions:

1. We each stop when we’ve reached the level of liability we are willing to take on. That point is different for different inspectors, but one thing is sure, no inspector is void of all liability from going beyond SOP. The moment you touch something you are taking on liability or the possibility of a claim.
  2. Absolutely… at times. There are many scenarios one could imagine where removing the junction box cover would be totally benign and yet beneficial.
  3. After a certain level of experience most inspectors would feel completely comfortable making that decision. It’s a very subjective decision and you’re the only one that can make it for you.
  4. I don’t know of any SOP which restricts the opening of junction boxes, subpanels, or main panels. Most SOPs allow inspectors to go beyond standard requirements if they choose to.