101 outside ambient

with about 70% humidity and I tested the HP in the normal heat mode. OMG what was I thinking. Gee the reversing valve operated normal and I had nice cool air being discharged from the outside condenser and nice warm air into the home.

So as you can see it the pic the unit did did not melt or go poof and disappear and it operated real normal when I switched it back to cooling.

Actually I don’t operate the unit in the normal heat mode just long enough to see if the reversing valve operates as intended.

This HP is not a pump down unit so why does it have a solenoid valve in the liquid line going to the A-coil???

Ok lets try this if you and your client are standing in front of the A-coil and the client ask you whats that thimagiggy in the freon line do what are you going to tell him, is your face going to get red when you say I will call Dave Andersen and find out:p:D:mrgreen:

This unit actually did not have a A-coil it was a slant coil and did not have the return air filter changed since mobey dick was a minnow

Multi-zone system. There is another indoor unit somewhere.

Nice thought but not correct need to think HP

the copper piping sure is dark is that what i think it is !..bi-flow heat pump solenoid valve !

The copper is dark because it is a 1988 HP.

Bi-flow means both directions to me and that would be incorrect the solenoid is either open or closed;-)

Clue # 1 expansion valve is a piston type for the slanted evaporator coil and ???:wink:

thermostatic expansion valve !

The liquid line solenoid is for use in long life applications.

It opens anytime there is a demand signal from the thermostat.

I’ve never seen it on a HP, yet.

Nope;-)

I gave the answer yous are not thinking:shock:

I am surprised no one had the true answer James M was all around it but not quite correct. I must admit I had never seen this set up on a heat pump before all I can say is leave it to Carrier to be different.

Understanding the refrigerant flow of a HP and the liquid and vapor state of the refrigerant in the various areas of the system during the cool and heat modes one should be able to determine what that solenoid valve does.

I have another question to put on the table how would a person be able to tell if a solenoid valve has voltage applied to its coil without the use of a electrical meter or twiggy

If that is a link its not active

If ya would answer your land line we could talk

The solenoid in question is just a standard 24 volt coil from 1988 nothing like in your link

I was only fixing his link.

I have no comment.

This is a first I have it on file:D

I’m a home inspector not a freon jockey :wink: