AHJ Passed it

Every installation manual I’ve seen states "min. One foot above grade, 3’ window clearance, 4’ below soffits, can not be located on inside corner of home.

This is 120,000 BTU furnace discharging within 2 ft of a window, within 1’ of a fresh air intake, and located at an inside corner of the home.

AHJ finally went out and looked at it - “it’s fine” No other explanation given. :roll:

What say you?

2378threemilerun 031.jpg

2378threemilerun 036.jpg

2378threemilerun 034.jpg

Siding requires repair and repaint :shock: the rest of what is seen, oh well :roll: hope their CO detection is working and life insurance is paid up :frowning:

Call the news and report this guy :twisted:

Barry;

I am with you on this one, but do you honestly think that would do any good?

I believe Carl Brown tried that and was damn near kick out of Dodge.

I wish there would be some avenue to take on this accelerating problem, for I would be right there to help myself.

In the meantime, guys like us can keep making note of it, I guess.

Good call, I would do the same thing just to raise a few hairs. ha. ha.

Marcel :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

If you really want to go in depth, take a more distant view that shows it all at once, put your measurements on the picture, and send it to the manufacturer, with a request for is it OK or not.

Pass that to reply to your customer and to the AHJ’s boss.

You oughta get used to including an overview photo so people can really see what’s going on instead of just measurments.

I can’t really get my head around what you’re trying to show without that overview that speaks 1,000 words.

BUT, I do know that writing to the manufacturer’s helps.

A couple of customers have gotten new inside heat pump units from a builders because the unit was used improperly during construction. Just from an e-mail I wrote a manufacturer asking if use during construction voided the warranty. For that one, (and most others) it did. Gunked it up inside with drywall dust.

Of course, you gotta have customers with enough chutzpah to make it stick.

Just remember.

The manufacturer’s instuctions ALWAYS supercede the local code requirements. (provided that the manufacturer has more stringent requirements).

Ask the local AHJ to state their position, in writing, on letter head and signed, on an assumption of liability statement.

They never do.

That speaks volumes, AND gets you out from under the liability problem.

Hope this helps;