Black stove vent pipe on oil boiler

I cannot say i’ve seen it before but is this type of exhaust vent pipe ok to use in this situation? I am calling my HVAC guy tomorrow but curious what you all have to say.

That’s OK if it’s the proper gauge…usually 28 ga or thicker. I’d like to see another support strap or 2 on that horizontal pipe.

Did all joints have 3 sheet metal screws spaced equally around the pipe?

Was the end entering the chimney secured by screws into a piece of pipe solidly set in mortar or was it just crimped and shoved into the chimney “thimble” opening? This is usually poorly done and not truly secure.

Brian,

I recommended the same on the straps… all else looked ok… In 8 years… NEVER seen the black… I am verifying the gauge…

this one was set in mortar and screwed… i do have a better picture showing that… but you’re right not often done that way… crimping is more common.

Thanks…

btw… my heating guy told me the same thing about the gauge this am… his words were…“Color is not the concern… It can be Panther Piss Purple for all I care BUT… It needs to be 24 gauge smoke pipe to be legal… A lot of wood stove pipe is 24 gauge but some are not…

Jeff, I hope you noted that exposed polystyrene on the wall. Should be covered with a non-combustible material.

Single Wall Stovepipe
**Single wall stovepipe is designed to connect a wood stove to a nearby chimney. It is available in different thicknesses (24 ga. or 22 ga.) and is usually painted with a high temperature black paint. Some manufacturers produce stovepipe in porcelain enamel colors to match their stoves.
As a general rule (check your label and instructions), stovepipe must be kept at least 18” from any combustible wall , ceiling or furniture. This distance can be reduced in two different ways:

• Protect the combustible surface with an approved method

• Install a Stovepipe Heat Shield on the Stovepipe The reductions gained by these methods is usually 50% (9 inches). :):smiley:

Black pipe is required for wood appliances and are heavier gauge. Galvanized piping used with wood appliances would corrode in the first year…

Isn’t this flue pipe serving an oil boiler?

It may not have to be 24 ga. Up here, it can be 28 ga for oil.

For wood, depends on pipe diameter:
less than 6"…26 ga
6" to less than 10"…24 ga
10" and greater than 10"…must be engineered

Marcel C.

that i did brotha!!!