Boiler venting question?

With out knowing the manufacturers installation Specs., what do you see wrong here? if anything. It just doesn’t look right having an 8" pipe out of the boiler only to be reduced to a 3" pipe connected to a fan.

The fan did not shut off the entire time of the inspection, even when the boiler did and the vent stayed very hot.

The house was originally built for/by a local HVAC company in 88’ and they have continued to service it through out the years. They are not the current selling owners.

Input is appreciated.

Thanks.

I would not have a great concern about the size reduction in the pipe due to it not being gravity induced, But the fan should cycle with the boiler. My concern would be the soot marks on the flange into the wall it appears the flame would be burning to yellow and if soot is forming on the wall that means that co is escaping also.

side shots.gif

This looks like a side shot venting type of system. No chimney required

side shots.gif

My concern would be the soot marks on the flange into the wall it appears the flame would be burning to yellow and if soot is forming on the wall that means that co is escaping also.

Good see on that soot