A/C Disconnect question

Hello evryone ! I have a quick question regarding an A/C unit at an Inspection today. Sorry I don’t have a pic but I will describe it the best I can.

The A/C unit has no disconnect next to it. There is a breaker for the A/C unit in the Service Panel located approx. 30 feet away on the same wall. The panel itself is a Square D all in one(Meter and panel) and is kind of a b**ch to open if you are not familiar with this type. Anyway, back to my question. Does there need to be a disconnect closer to the A/C unit?

I know the IRC and NEC state that the disconnect needs to be in sight of the condensor. I am recommending having a disconnect installed next to the unit.

Richard, if you are familiar with the IRC and NEC with regards to this situation, how did you come up with your recommendation?:slight_smile:

Hi Brian. My recommendation is based on the fact that the disconnect isn’t TRUELY in sight of the condenser. Even though I know and the Client knows that there is a breaker in the Service panel (which is located on the same wall and in sight of the condenser) dedicated to the A/C.

Would you have done anything differently? I am always trying to learn something from you guys out there!

Rick

It is my belief that the disconnect should be in sight of the unit and within 5’ I’m not 100% on this. Anyone else?

I think you did the right thing Richard a disconnect needs to be insight for the condenser. I initially did not read your question correctly

No prob Brian. Thanks for the input!

Thanks Thaine!

A breaker in a service panel 30 feet away would be just fine by me and I would not even remotely think to write that up as deficient in any way. Anything more would really be nit-picking I think. Wouldn’t you say the attached example is OK?

Hey Guys,

In this application if the outside unit is on the same wall as a exterior panel and " Within Sight" then it should be fine.

Keep in mind that their is a limit to within sight…it is 50’ and no more…check out how the NEC defines " In Sight From" to up to 50’…so keep that in mind…their is STILL a limit to “within sight”

I’m with Michael and Paul here. A breaker in a panel is a disconnect. If it’s within site, there’s no need to add another.

That is a service disconnect is it not? So yes that is ok by me.

What does the IRC say about condensers? I do not think the breaker in the main panel counts for condensers does it? I do not think even a lockable breaker counts. Hey, I have already miss read this post once, so what do I know.:slight_smile:

One, I do believe a breaker in a main panel within sight of the condenser is sufficient. I can’t find a reference to that in the IRC right now but I’ll keep looking. Two, I think the original question was asking if it was OK that the breaker that was admittedly within 30 feet of the condenser was behind a panel cover and therefore ‘not within sight’…that’s where I was going with my ‘nit-picking’ remark.

I read it that way too at first Michael. But I think the IRC frowns on a breaker in the main panel being the service disconnect. But, I have been wrong before.

And I am wrong again, 03 IRC T4001.5 covers it. As long as it is in sight.

Yep. A disconnect can be a breaker, switch, pull-out, etc., etc., and it doesn’t matter if it’s in a service panel, remote panel, switch or fuse box or whatever. It just needs to be accessible and within sight.

:oops: I got crossed ways with lockable breakers out of sight Jeff.