Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > Specific Inspection Topics > Inspecting HVAC Systems

Notices

Inspecting HVAC Systems Topics include heating, venting, and air conditioning inspections.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 2/13/10, 12:20 PM
InterNACHI Member

Default Defrost Control Board - On Trane XE 1000

Hi,

With all the snow here in the northeast, the likes of which I've never seen around here in my lifetime, it seems like I get one thing fixed with my heating system and something else goes wrong.

Anyhow, my outdoor unit was froze over for the second time in the past few days this morning with consistant freezing all around the units coils. I've found a lot of help on here with regards to testing the defrost control board, however, this one looks to be a little different than those for which I have found the advice on. Also, I notice the loose red wire. Should this wire have not been plugged into the "NORM" pin? I have 2 of the same heat pumps and the heat pump that works fine is wired the same way, that is, the red wire was not connected on it either. Can someone advise me on how best to test this particular type board? Do I jump across the "TST" pin and the "FRC DFT" pins?

Thanks,

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
defrost-control-board-trane-xe-1000-defrost-control-board.jpg   defrost-control-board-trane-xe-1000-defrost-control-board-full-photo.jpg  
Need a home inspection in Louisiana? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Louisiana certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 2/13/10, 7:11 PM
InterNACHI Member

Default Re: Defrost Control Board - On Trane XE 1000

The manual should be available on the Trane website or you can go to one of the hvac discussion boards. Logic does not always apply so you need the manual. It would appear that the wire needs to connect to the normal pin and to the defrost pin to force a defrost cycle. The test pin could be something else. Leaving the wire disconnected could be the same as "normal" but with a different time interval.

B.A. King Home Inspections, LLC
www.BAKingHomeInspections.com
Serving Charlotte NC area and Rock Hill SC areas.
CMI Certified Master Inspector and Independent
License NC2449 and SC1597
704 301-3207

"Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what no one else has thought."
- Albert Szent-Gyvrgyi, Nobel Prize for Medicine 1937
Old 2/13/10, 9:23 PM
InterNACHI Member

Default Re: Defrost Control Board - On Trane XE 1000

Thanks Bruce. I did manage to find a manual on-line for the Defrost Control Board. I'm going to try a few things from that manual tomorrow.

Regards,

Steve