What do folks see wrong?

This was a prelisting insp… The seller advised not to be concerned with this unit as he was going to remove by the time the home went on the market that a buddy gave him and its used in the garage only. So I still thought I would take some pics. Now I saw like 3 things that jumped out as issues. Now when I am home I actually came up with like 2-3 more?'s. So I figure I would provide a couple pics and see what others see as wrong or what they would look for. I did not operate the unit or remove cover.

DSC00949.JPG

DSC00947.JPG

DSC00950.JPG

DSC00852.JPG

DSC00846.JPG

Another “Where’s Waldo” thread.

Not really I just wanted to see what people saw that I may not and thought this would be a cool way to see where I was weak. I am not trying to really teach anyone but myself. So if you want to post anything positive or assist me in my attempt to learn please do so I would like that!

So if you want to post anything positive or assist me in my attempt to learn please do so I would like that!

I would make sure I reported what Is there now and I would also post the Home owner said it will be removed . It looks like you have more then one NACHI .address ???

I agree with Mr Cooke-report what is there now. I’ve had numerous sellers walk around behind me saying “I’m going to fix that, I’m going to remove that”, I always politely say “I have to report on present conditions, the way things are right now, at this moment”.

Of course I will put his comments in my report “Seller was present and stated he will…after the inspection”.

Well here goes nothing for a once over

1. No storage near the furnace
  2. Can not operate the furnace on a extension cord
  3. No clearance to combustibles on the flue pipe, can not discharge thru a door the verticle rise is not the proper height.
  4. Replace the the dam door because now you have a hole in it after removing the vent pipe:D

Hmm I didnt think about the extension cord. The things I thought about were

1. the height of the unit so the ignition source being 18 inches up

2. the flue pipe not being the correct height (meaning the roof clearance)

3. the unit not being protected with the cement or steel posts.

Then however I realized there is not ductwork at all and I was wondering if thats ok. I did not think of it at the time. So if the heat just blows directly out of the unit into the room is that ok? I can’t think of why its not. Also then no cold air return since no duct and is that something negative. Anyway I am no heating pro that was reason I put this out there.

All furnace burners are already 18 inches above the floor.

All furnace burners are already 18 inches above the floor. unless you lay them horizional;-)

If that is the case .
Post what you see wrong first.

I thought there was a requirement for a minimum rise of 12" off the draft hood before an elbow, but can’t find a reliable reference to that, despite considerable looking. Can anybody confirm that is it a requirement per code, or just a recommendation (per manufactures specification- so do mention min rise, some don’t)?

Thanks.

I would only be concerned about this installation if it was ever started up.