Electric Baseboard in Attic

Common sense tells me installing an electric baseboard heat in an unfinished attic can be a potential fire hazard. Question is, is it allowed? I can’t find anything that says its not.

They apparently are a fan of focused ice damming.

I can’t find a specific reference either but the danger of it being unmonitored and possibly having storage on it seems reason enough to call it out.

Were the electrical connections safe?

This is certainly an interesting topic. I would love to hear some responses.

I would call it out as being a fire hazard. Consider the implications of a mouse nest being built on the element.

Is the heater installed to the manufactures specifications.

I take photos of the manufacture serial number and look for recalls.

Is the electrical hooked up with safe procedures.
Does the baseboard heater have adequate air flow around it.
It it in close proximity to flammable materials. 6"

Were is the shutoff to the power supply.

Electric baseboard heaters usually mount to the wall, but there are some freestanding models available. The freestanding models have integrated safety features, such as automatically turning off if they accidentally tip over.
Why would they shut off if they tip over?

If it is not installed to the manufactures specs I would call it out.

Are you serious?

House fires Michel.

No but you are taking it that way.

Excellent point!

In recent decades much of the world (and especially the U.S.) has become very
conscious of energy consumption. As a result, many energy saving initiatives and
products have been introduced. One of the most successful lines of products has been
the reflective radiant barrier materials which are installed in the attic spaces of homes.
Available evidence strongly suggests that these products can in fact provide significant
reductions in home energy consumption (U.S. Department of Energy, the Oak Ridge
National Laboratory, et al.). Unfortunately, the use of these products also provides some
insidious and unintended side effects. The physical and electrical properties of these
materials are such that they introduce new and very serious dangers of ignition and fire.