Florida Heat Pump Question

I ran across something today I’ve never seen before. I have a question about a split florida heat pump system. The outside unit was located in a garage. A cabinet with counter top was built around the system blocking access. This just doesn’t seem right. Any suggestions on how this should be documented? Is this a repair or safety concern?

Is a Fl heat pump different than a Okla heat pump. If it is Air to Air its not correct are U sure its not a Geo heat pump does it have a outdoor fan

Got any PIC’s

It is a Florida Heat Pump brand split geothermal heat pump. The air handler is in the attic and the condensing unit is in the garage in a closed wood cabinet. See http://www.fhp-mfg.com/files/download/Manuals/ES_2_Stage_Split_Install.pdf It states the condensing unit should go outside but I can understand the thought process of not wanting it to freeze although it rarely does here

The condensing unit is in the cabinet in the corner. The unit was boarded off with no access without taking the cabinet apart. The lines going to the attic are behind the wood in the corner. According to the serial number of the air handler the system was manufactured in 1993.

picture5018.jpg

That is a tough call I personally see no reason why it can not be installed where it is but if the MFG instructions call for it to be outside I would go with that.

In my area we install the Geo inside

Yeah I thought it was ok, but wanted to be sure. We just don’t see a lot of these here. My main concern was the access.

Does anyone know the useful life of one of these systems?

An A/C compressor is a compressor does not matter where it operates I only give them 12 years on a heat pump due to their run time

“Locate the condensing section in an area that provides
sufficient room to make water and electrical
connections, and allows easy removal of the access
panels, for service personnel to perform maintenance
or repair.
The condensing section is designed for outdoor use;
however, if the condensing section must be installed in
a location where ambient temperatures can fall below
freezing, some form of freeze protection should be
employed such as a freeze-stat and/or a pump
timer/starter to prevent possible condenser freeze-up
and to optimize overall system performance. Consult
the factory in these instances for guidance.
WARNING: Water freezes at 32°F. Frozen water coils
are not covered under the limited product warranty. It
is the installers responsibility to insure that the
condensing section is installed in a location or has the
proper controls to prevent rupturing the water coil due
to freezing conditions.”

Being that I’m from Florida. Having never inspected a South Carolina or Canadian heat pump. Could one of you gentleman enlighten me as to what the difference is?

It’s a brand of GeoThermal heat pump. I believe they are owned by Bosch now.

http://www.energyvanguard.com/blog-building-science-HERS-BPI/bid/54408/Does-a-Geothermal-Heat-Pump-Count-as-a-Renewable-Energy-Source

Thank you, I guess it’s a cold state thing…:slight_smile:

(One day I may even get to see a real basement too).