Furnace Install in Garage

Would you recommend Bollards be installed?

Just could not say barrier eh.
Depends on who’s driving and how much they drank.
Code -smode ,recommendation forth coming.

This is old but explains it well… Cookie

Mar. 20, 1998
Furnace Safety
Dear Sir,
**C1.**Man are you RIGHT !! with your assesments. I am a Mechanical Inspector for the city of Nashua NH, pop. 80,000. My primary duties are to inspect gas piping, furnaces,boilers, wood stoves: basically anything with combustion & the products of combustion. You wouldn’t believe the “horror” stories that I see. And I only get to see what have obtained a permit to install or replace. Many (unscrupulous) don’t obtain permits, thus no inspections. My two most common violation to the mech code is improper venting of appliances and/or insufficient amount of combustion air provisions. Currently the state of NH has no license requirements for mechanical installers or servicemen. Which means anyone can put in a yellow pages ad and paint a van and go into business selling & installing or servicing furnaces.
Your caution about furnaces in a garage is right on the mark. The mechanical code does not prohibit installing a furnace in a garage, but I caution everyone that the filter rack and the return air side in "pulling " a negative pressure in the air handling system and it is usually not sealed. I wouldn’t put one in my house.
I would like to open a line of communication with you as we have a common interest. I am very active in the Granite State chapter of ASHRAE as I am a firm proponent of indoor air quality, energy efficiency.
Regards,
Bruce Buttrick

Not required in this State see them all of the time. I’m of the opinion if you can not keep your vehicle off of the top of the furnace you deserve what you get. Go back to driving school.:roll:
</IMG>

Roy brings up a point I totaly missed.
That baby is not cat four and may be drawing air from the exhaust fumes.
Yikes!

Furnace is an Oil-Fired Lennox

Well, in looking at the whole picture to answer the question, since “Parking for Polish Only,” I would have to say that bollards are a definite requirement. :margarit:

However, since there’s a wall and doors, I’d be okay not recommending bollards.

A recommendation probably is in order. I’d wouldn’t call it a “repair” item since probably at the time the house was originally built, bollards weren’t mandatory.

I don’t know about where you are, but here in CT The burner combustion air intake has to be 18" above the floor to avoid gasoline fumes. Whether it’s an oil or gas burner. Plus, 2 OA intakes to the outdoors. One at 18" above floor, and one up by the draft diverter (gas) or barometric damper (oil).

What if any can be done when a furnace is in a garage and you want to prevent the fumes from entering the home. Right now there are walls around it with vents to the garage for air intake. Is there a sensor that can be installed in the unit to shut it down if a car is left idling for a few min. Or close the room off and run the fresh air vents to the outside? San Diego USA