Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > Specific Inspection Topics > Inspecting HVAC Systems

Notices

Inspecting HVAC Systems Topics include heating, venting, and air conditioning inspections.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 4/23/07, 11:25 PM
InterNACHI Member

Question Furnace Location?

Found an electric forced air furnace installed in a garage today to heat the house. Does not seem right to me. My concern is the furnace pulling in carbon monoxide, from the car, through any openings in access panels or joints in ducts and blowing it into the house. Would appreciate some feedback on this.
Old 4/23/07, 11:52 PM
Active Poster

Please Note: Jason1 is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.
Default Re: Furnace Location?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmith1
Found an electric forced air furnace installed in a garage today to heat the house. Does not seem right to me. My concern is the furnace pulling in carbon monoxide, from the car, through any openings in access panels or joints in ducts and blowing it into the house. Would appreciate some feedback on this.
Not a problem.
Old 4/24/07, 12:04 AM
Active Poster

Please Note: Jason1 is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.

Quote:
I would add that the ductwork has to be sealed. Also, protection from impact wouldn't be a bad idea.
Old 4/24/07, 12:21 AM
Active Poster

I would also add that although it isn't a problem building code wise (check your local codes) I wouldn't do it in my house
Old 4/24/07, 9:33 AM
InterNACHI Member

Quote:
Furnaces of all types are installed in garages all the time the returns are a sealed system back to the living areas. Return air can not be taken from a garage. When I inspect these types of installs I just ensure that the return air is properly sealed on the garage side. Probally 50 million units installed in this manner??????

http://www.oklahomathermalinfraredimaging.com/
http://www.freedomexpressinspections.com/
Master HVAC Mechanic Retired
Level III Thermographer # 8486 Infraspection Institute
CMI Certified Master Inspector
Residential/Commercial Inspections
Moisture Intrusion Expert Witness
580-268-3340
Old 4/24/07, 11:37 AM
InterNACHI Member

Insure that the duct does not break the fire wall barrier between the house and the garage. Flexible duct cannot be used in this application. Sheet metal duct of the appropriate thickness (set by code ) is required.
Old 4/30/07, 6:31 PM
Active Poster

Please Note: gbrasseur is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandersen
Insure that the duct does not break the fire wall barrier between the house and the garage. Flexible duct cannot be used in this application. Sheet metal duct of the appropriate thickness (set by code ) is required.
Good point David.