Gravity Furnace (aka) Sea Creature

Had my first MONSTER a few weeks back and thought I would share.
See how many issues you can find or tell me what you see in the pictures.
[ATTACH]

[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Very nice. Something like a 40% effiency rating if I’m not mistaken. I grew up with one of those.

Did you have night mares? :slight_smile:

At least its not covered in asbestos

As I said ,take another look.
I will explain if nobody sees anything.

I know what is wrong with it, the blower does not work.:smiley:

Ok
Start with the last picture.
No that is not a wasp nest.

Amber, aka dried sap, from being drawn out of the wood from the nearby heat.

Open return…

You are both right
Joists used for return
Sheet metal ripped and hanging

Furnace worked great

You are both right
Joists used for return
Sheet metal ripped and hanging

Furnace worked great

I have always wonder why they are called gravity furnaces when they flow upwards?

What goes up,must come down.

Notice how it dwarfs the Water Heater.

Funny, but for some reason thought it would not heat the second floor of this row house.(I was wrong)

Wonder no more.

Having no blower, they rely on the fact that the cooler air is heavier and sinks do the force of gravity only to be reheated and rise. That is why the pipes are so large.

Possible asbestos tape, and most likely the mud around the door.

Same principals of a hot air balloon huh Mike. And it also explains why some people with a lot of hot air always seem to rise above the rest of the crowd. :mrgreen:

Homeowners simply don’t understand that if they upgrade to a more efficient furnace, half their heating costs can easily pay for their upgrade.

Even more so with today’s high efficiency upgrade incentives on the state and federal levels.

well it has worked for 50 years or more do you not think thats being kinda picky?

Around here, it’s not the cost of the furnace, it’s the expense of “properly” installing the ‘return ducts’ that costs the big bucks if the home is two story or higher, which is usually the case.

It’s not that hard to breach closets, which is quite typical.