Heat Exchanger?

Hey Nathan,

These are the only heat exchangers (i think its a heat exchanger) that inspectors can really inspect.

Actual Inspectors,

I found this in an older home today. I did not have access to the crawlspace. It appears to be a heat exchanger of some sort. It seemed to be the only heat source in the whole house. It was cracked pretty badly as well. Can some give some more information on this type of heating system like its proper name and possibly a diagram of what I would have found in the crawlspace.

I tell them that I am going to confer with some colleagues who have expertise in that area and if it’s an issue, I will let them know via email or phone call and provide details in the report.

Edit: this was supposed to be in the “what would you say” companion thread.

Man that sounds so much better. Thanks man!

Please tell us why this is a heat exchange and what source is transferring energy to it that you viewed.

Because that is exactly what it is. It’s a heat exchanger for a floor furnace.

Do you have the ability to provide him with any useful information or assistance or do you just want to quiz him?

Well for one…it looks like a heat exchagner

Two, I could not get into the crawlspace so I am not sure what was going in there.

My thoughts were that it looked like a heat exchanger. The house had gas (which was not on at the time of the inspection) My theory is that in the crawlspace, there is some sort of furnace that burns gas. The heat and exhaust flues run through this heat exchanger and that it heats the air radiantly. There was no fan in it what so ever. There were no registers, baseboards, radiators or any other heat distribution methods that I could find. Just this.

Honestly, that is what I was thinking as well.

Juan,

Google floor furnace, lots of info there.

Thanks guys. once I got the right name for it, I was able to actually get some results on google. I was googling heat exchanger in floor with horrible results.

Yes Nathan, 1949

For anyone interested

http://www.wfc-fc.com/pdf/Floor_Furnace_IOM.pdf

Thanks man. I was posting my comment about googling floor furnace as you were posting this.

Requesting more information from the poster but glad he has a protective big brother to nose in for him.

Need more information for my own benefit as I would like to know what he saw without your unwarranted comment however.

Perhaps you are prepared to give me more information on this system and component Chuck?
I am here waiting.

However see others posted that info rather than simply giving a generic report comment to parrot so never mind.

http://bit.ly/QSKxva

Funny, but your style of asking for information so that you could learn comes across as a smart-assed challenge for the OP to prove himself.

Interesting that you would seek information from the individual who posted on the forum in order to get information. Kind of like asking a man dying of thirst where you can find water nearby. With patience, I’m sure you would have gotten the information from the others who posted helpful responses.

Not sure what that means kinda like a book I just read…lol

OP as Chuck call Juan in his original post writes…These are the only heat exchangers (i think its a heat exchanger) that inspectors can really inspect.

My reply was …Please tell us why this is a heat exchange and what source is transferring energy to it that you viewed.

Chuck took offence for some reason and I had to go back to see what he wrote which was…I tell them that I am going to confer with some colleagues who have expertise in that area and if it’s an issue

He did not answer with any useful information to Juan and as I was out on my phone was hoping Juan could provide an explanation as to what he thought(key word is thought) it was and why.

Juan did a great job of researching and answering his own question with a link to a PDF which is what nobody else did and thus he helped himself.

Chuck telling me to shut up and not question anything seemed a little out of place and very argumentive forcing me to double check if he may have been in the political section…lol.

Thanks for the information Juan as it is very useful.

I would rather teach a man to fish that simply hand him a menu.

Well I’m glad it all worked out for you and you were able to glean some information from the thread.

Please tell us why it’s a fish. What is its means of locomotion? How do you know its a menu? How did the ink get on the pages? If the man is in a restaurant, why wouldn’t he prefer a menu to a fishing lesson? I’m seeking information

He knows it is a fish because it breathes water and he would rather fish than try and get a good “deep dish pizza” in a Texas Restaurant.